Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's my new project, A 94 Trooper with 161,000 miles on it I scored from Craigslist for $1,500. Gonna start switching the tires over tonight, got someone to buy my blown up 87 for $500 tomorrow. Tint will be next when my guy gets back in town, and then I need to get a winch bumper fabbed when my welder buddy gets some free time. Trying to think of a name for it, any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Looks great! I went from an 87 to a 93, and I loved the upgrade from 1st gen to second. It does feel a lot "heavier", but the ride is so much quieter and nicer (at least for me). Gas mileage will be a little worse, though!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tatohead said:
Looks great! I went from an 87 to a 93, and I loved the upgrade from 1st gen to second. It does feel a lot "heavier", but the ride is so much quieter and nicer (at least for me). Gas mileage will be a little worse, though!
It's a world of difference, that's for sure!

otg94 said:
I went from an 87 to 94 trooper and never looked back. Now on my second 94. I recommend the old man emu shocks and springs., Good luck with the build.
Appreciate the advice, I was looking at your build & your Trooper looks sick! I plan on doing a similar style winch bumper & definately need some 33s!

I got the tires switched over & the 87 is history... Kind of bitter sweet but oh well, life is a journey, not a destination...

And these aren't my Guard dogs, these are some beater Bridgestones that I bought mainly for the rims. I paid $100 for the set so I could save some wear & tear on the Dogs.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I scored a new winch/push bumper off Craigslist for $250. It's aluminum & light as crap!

My buddy is going to help me paint it & mount it this weekend, and I can put the winch I never got around to putting on my 1st gen. And I threw the Guard Dogs on so it looks a bit tougher.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Your 87 blew up, eh? That's too bad. It definitely had potential!

On the other hand, this 94 looks sweet! Very clean, especially badass with the wheels & tires

What is that bumper made for? You really lucked out there! That was a good find

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
streetersam said:
Your 87 blew up, eh? That's too bad. It definitely had potential!

On the other hand, this 94 looks sweet! Very clean, especially badass with the wheels & tires

What is that bumper made for? You really lucked out there! That was a good find
The guy told me it came from an 80's Yota pickup, I guess they're from the mountains of New York so they have extra heavy duty bumpers for their trucks. I'm thinking of doing bedliner instead of paint to give it more durability. And thx, this thing will look even more badass in the next few weeks! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dropped my Trooper off to my welder and he's been sending me some updates, so here you go...

The stock bumper off

mocked up

the existing fender piece didn't quite match

new fender piece tacked on

other fender piece tacked on

all bedlined and ready

and mounted...

Now we just have to mount the winch & she's good to go!!!!

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Cool. How close did the frame mounting points match up?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
looks good!! I would of made the brushguard go arround the turning signal but hey it look just fine like that! :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BigSwede said:
Cool. How close did the frame mounting points match up?
Not very close at all, they were about 10" off. He took the existing brackets off the stock bumper, reversed & flipped them & welded new tabs on the bumper.

Metal88 said:
looks good!! I would of made the brushguard go arround the turning signal but hey it look just fine like that! :)
I thought about that, but I didn't really want to do any more to the bumper than I had to. Still trying to save for a little lift... :)
And here's a little poser shot:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey, what's up people? After an extended hiatus I decided to drop back in and share some updates. Not too much has been done to the Trooper since my last post other than scoring a sweet set of 31x13.5x15 Mickey's for the beach this year and FINALLY getting my winch mounted and wired. Thought y'all might get a kick out of where we wired the controls...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts