Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just came across a running driving 92 rodeo(wrecked). I'm wondering since the rodeo is complete, would I need anything else to swap it's 5 spd into my 94Trooper SE? Tried doing a search but didn't come up with anyone trying this particular changeover. Also will the computer need swapping, or will that matter? All help is much appreciated. :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok I just got a lot more info on the "donor"rig. It's a base model 92. It has a 3.1, manual hubs, 2spd transfer case, and no options. So now I'm wondering since the trooper has push button 4wd will I have to do anything extra to make the 2spd transfer case work? Also ours has ac and cruise will that affect the swap at all? I'm especially wondering about the ecu, since they are so dissimilar.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
atwill said:
Ok I just got a lot more info on the "donor"rig. It's a base model 92. It has a 3.1, manual hubs, 2spd transfer case, and no options. So now I'm wondering since the trooper has push button 4wd will I have to do anything extra to make the 2spd transfer case work? Also ours has ac and cruise will that affect the swap at all? I'm especially wondering about the ecu, since they are so dissimilar.
FIRST OFF THE 92 RODEO TRANS WILL NOT FIT THE 94 ?? TROOPER ENG, AND THE TROOPER ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THE YEAR , SINCE THEY DIDNT COME WITH THE PUSH BUTTON CONTROL FOR THE 4WD UN TILL 96 , AND ALL ISUZU ARE 2 SPD T/CASES , YOU WILL NEED TO SWAP THE COMPLETE PEDAL ASSY FOR A MANUAL TRANS TROOPER , AND IF YOUR S IS A REAL 94 LS IT SHOULD HAVE THE 3.2 DOHC ENG,
AND THE ECM WOULD NOT HAVE TO BE CHANGED TO MAKE THE MANUAL TRANS WORK, A LITTLE BIT OF REWIRING AROUND THE TRANS MODE SW AND YOU WOULD BE BACK IN BUSINESS,(BACK UP LITES AND NEUTRAL START CONTACTS , )

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
i thought the isuzu 3.2 and gm 3.1 had different bellhousing patterns?

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
pmat said:
i thought the isuzu 3.2 and gm 3.1 had different bellhousing patterns?
THAT IS CORRECT, THE 3.1 HAS THE STANDARD 60 DEGREE BOLT PATTERN THAT GM USES , IT IS THE SAME PATTERN THAT ISUZU USES ON THE AUTOMATIC TRANS ,BUT THE ISUZU MANUAL TRANS USE A MODIFIED PATTERN THE TOP TWO BOLTS WILL LIE UP AND ONE ON THE SIDE BUT THE REST WILL NOT LINE CORRECTLY THE MANUAL TRANS USES A WIDER PATTERN . THE TRANS WILL ACTUALLY BOLT UP TO THE AUTO MATIC PATTERN BUT THEN THERE IS NO FLY WHEEL THAT WILL FIT THE ENG THAT WILL THEN FIT IN THE BELL HOUSING, NOW HERE IS THE ODD PART A 2.6 FLYWHEEL WILL FIT THE 3.2 ENG PERFECTLY AND WILL FIT IN THE 3.1 BELL HOUSING , BUT THE 2.6 FLYWHEEL ISNT LARGE ENOUGH TO REACH THE STARTER NOSE ON THE 3.2 , NOT WORTH MESSING AROUND WITH , CLUTCH ARM IS COMPLETELY DIFF, AND THE INPUT SHAFT ON THE 3.1 IS MUCH SMALLER THAN THE 3.2 TRANS ,

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sure glad i asked before i bought it. You are right, my trooper doesn't have push button 4wd. I only drove it onto the car dolly and back off. It's been sitting since then. I thought for sure i saw a button to shift, but I was wrong.
Well bummer, guess it's back to looking. So as long as a rodeo has the 3.2, and not the 3.1 then the 5spd would fit, correct?

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
atwill said:
Sure glad i asked before i bought it. You are right, my trooper doesn't have push button 4wd. I only drove it onto the car dolly and back off. It's been sitting since then. I thought for sure i saw a button to shift, but I was wrong.
Well bummer, guess it's back to looking. So as long as a rodeo has the 3.2, and not the 3.1 then the 5spd would fit, correct?
YES THE RODEO TANS FROM 93-95 WILL FIT AND NOT CHANGES NEEDED , 96AND LATER TROOPER OR RODEO WILL REQUIRE WIRING CHANGES ,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts