Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first time poster here so bear with me.

My timing belt jumped! Replaced water pump, tensioner, hyd-actuator, idlers, timing belt and crank & camshaft seals. Timing is dead on now, starts right up & accelerate fine as long as you don't open her up. When under a load it backfires through the intake. When revving the engine via throttle body you can hear a metallic ping from the left bank prior to the backfire. I read something about a faulty knock sensor causing this kind of issues, so I pulled what I think is the common chamber and intake manifold off to inspect. I haven't found the knock sensor yet but the removed components are very oily on the left bank; see attached pics. I also noticed that when setting the camshaft sprocket that the left bank sounded & felt different from the right. Could this be an issue with the valve train on the left bank? Is it something that can be seen by pulling the valve cover? As you can tell I'm in new territory here and your help is very much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: After reading the book a little more I realized that I had only removed the upper intake manifold. After removing the fuel rail & the lower intake manifold I found my knock sensor. Also, what i thought to be an oily residue in the common chamber & upper intake manifold is actually a glossy black sticky coating. I guess the glossiness made think it was oily. I'm still not sure why one side is black & glossy and the other is varnished as I would expect.

I've ordered a new knock sensor & an intake manifold gasket kit. Is there anything else I should be doing while I'm in here besides replacing a few worn hoses & clamps? How difficult is it to clean the injectors or should I send them out?

Thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.