Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everybody

I have a '94 trooper with the 3.2 (SOHC I think) and a '96 3.2 SOHC. I want to put the '96 motor in the '94. How possible is this? The 8th digit on the both the VIN's is a V if that helps at all. Any help would be very appreciated!

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
So long as it's a SOHC to SOHC swap it ought to be a bolt in as far as the engine is concerned. The computers will be different as the 94 has the OBD I and the 96 uses the OBD II.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
troopermatt said:
great thanks for your reply. Does anyone know how much electrical work would be involved? Are the ignition systems the same?
NOPE WON,T WORK WITH OUT A COMPLETE WIRING CHANGE MAJOR DIFF IN THE ENG CONTROLS AND THE CRANKSHAFT ,, THE 94 CRANKSHAFT HAS A 7 TOOTH TONE RING GROUND INTO THE CENTER OF THE CRANK SHAFT FOR USE TO TRIGGER THE CRANK ANGLE SENSOR, THE 96 HAS 57 TEETH , SOOOO 96-97 ONLY , 92-95 ALL 3.2 ARE INTERCHANGABLE , AS JOE MENTIONED THE 94 IS AND OBD1 ENG AND THE 96-97 IS AN OBD 11,COMPLETELY DIFF WIREING SETUP THE 96 HAS HAS COIL ON PLUG AND IS SEQUENTIAL FIRING ON IGN AND FUEL INJ, THE 94 USES BATCH FIRING ON THE INJ, AND INT AND EX FIRING ON THE 94 , IN OTHER WORDS ON THE 94 WHEN IT IS FIRING ONE CYL ON COMPRESSION IT IS ALSO FIRING ON AN OPPOSITE CYL EX HAUST STROKE. THE HEADS PISTONS AND RODS AND BLOCK WILL WORK BUT THE CRANKS ARE NOT INTERCHANGABLE JERRY

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Well I knew the wiring was different.

Didn't know anything about the cranks being different.

Thanks Jerry for having my back.

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.