Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
I hate to say it, but...
I don’t think so - Not unless you have a Body Lift installed â€" And even then it’s a major pain!

Joe (BigPoppa) and I were able to get mine off without removing the exhaust down pipe - But it involved unbolting the driver’s-side motor mount, the transmission mount, jacking the motor & trans up, and (barely!) sneaking the starter out through the small space between the motor and frame… And I honestly don’t think we could have done it that way without having the extra room between the inner fender and frame, thanks to my Body Lift. --- Even then, we both came away from it with some scraped-up knuckles.

For the record, I’d love to offer my two-cents to the engineer that decided on the 3.2’s starter placement… using one of my Size 12 Boots for punctuation! :twisted:

Anyway, good luck!

Cheers!
Smiley

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just breezed through my Haynes and it says on some models you will have to remove part of the exhaust system to get the starter out. The only pointers they give is 1-Disconnect your battery, 2-is a no brainer, make sure you engine is cool prior to removing the exhaust and starter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It can be done without removing the exhaust - as I did it last year on my 92 Trooper. The key was once you unbolted the starter, you have to turn it around - and it will come out - over the front axle. (i think I had to also disconnect the tube that vents the from axle.

I posted how I did this on this forum - but can't seem to find the post.

Aivars Berzins

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
I dont know how much difference there is in that are between 1st and 2nd gen rodeos. On my 2nd gen there was no way the starter was going to come out through the front. I had to use a pry bar to force the starters back against the engine mount enough to get them in and out of where it mounts. It was a strugle to get the new one back far enough to clear the bell housing to mount it. Definatly had to drop the exhaust tube to change the starter, was no other way.

·
Registered
92 Posts
For the record, I’d love to offer my two-cents to the engineer that decided on the 3.2’s starter placement… using one of my Size 12 Boots for punctuation! :twisted:

Anyway, good luck!

Cheers!
Smiley[/quote]

I would love to offer my two cents on damn near every thing I have tried to fix on my 95.5 4x4 rodeo 3.2

It seems to get to whatever you need to fix you have to take three other things off to get to it.

I love my Rodeo and it has been very dependable but trying to work on it is a PITA

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, just as a FYI: I attempted to remove the exhaust but I just couldn't remove ONE of them bolts. So I took it to the mechanic instead, it was still under warranty from Autozone, the mechanic charged me $50 bucks to remove the old one and install the new one. Not a bad deal.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Apparently if you have a 4x2 rodeo you can get the starter out without removing the exhaust. I have no experiance with that (only with the 4x4 :evil: ) but there's at least one post on here about that.

I have a lot of things to talk over with the designer as well. Any normal wear item (starters, alternators, thermostats) should be accessable without needing to spend 2 days taking half the truck apart to get to it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Gizmo42 said:
Apparently if you have a 4x2 rodeo you can get the starter out without removing the exhaust. I have no experiance with that (only with the 4x4 :evil: ) but there's at least one post on here about that.

I have a lot of things to talk over with the designer as well. Any normal wear item (starters, alternators, thermostats) should be accessable without needing to spend 2 days taking half the truck apart to get to it.
I agree. Every time I go to do something simple on my 95 it takes forever and you have to remove three things to get to what you need to fix

Plus the fact that the radiator has no drain cock

·
Registered
99 Posts
Finally had my first Trooper "problem" Starter got lazy and sluggish. Took it to Pep Boys. Quoted me $239.00

Git 'R Done! I said.

Price for starter was 129.00-149.00 everywhere I checked. Shoot, 100 bucks for labor seemed reasonable.

Those boys spent 3 hours changing it out. Busted off 3 exhaust bolts.

If I had done it, I woulda spent a whole day cussing while fixing it (figure on running around to get the starter, then back out again for new bolts ) Not to mention I couldnt be typing this due to all the bloody knuckles.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Check here tomorrow and I can let you know.

My husband did it-twice. A lot of *choice* words were said, a lot of walking away from it for a bit, but it can be done. You have to *wiggle* it out.

I will post tomorrow how he did it.

If you feel like searching, it is on here under my posts.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.