Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this from a friend. First project vehicle ever and I'm super excited to start working on it. It's running (technically) but having a really strange issue where the engine dies unless kept at high RPMs.
Any common problems that may cause this issue?
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,344 Posts
Welcome, good looking Amigo. Will need to know the engine and if it's carbed or fuel injected (ITEC) .Are you sure it's an XS. Thought the XS had chrome bumpers and door handles

Reactions: Goy.Boy

·
Registered
7 Posts
I to have a 94 amigo that’s my first vehicle, project vehicle and wheeler when you said you have problems with it dying unless kept at high rpm’s there’s probably a much more simplistic reason for it however I can tell you if the problem is when starting I had a defective alternator so I had to give it a rev to about 4K when starting and it would stay on. If it starts fine the other problem I’ve had is valves are improperly adjusted or the timing is off weather it be ignition timing or the belt is slightly off. Just a few problems I’ve had with mine that hopefully may help you out.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Welcome, good looking Amigo. Will need to know the engine and if it's carbed or fuel injected (ITEC) .Are you sure it's an XS. Thought the XS had chrome bumpers and door handles
You are correct. That is a base model Amigo. Appears to be fuel injected but hopefully the OP conforms.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't have all the info in front of me but I do know it's fuel injected. The person I got I from said it's an XS but sounds like you may know better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
474 Posts
Here's the official Isuzu workshop manual as well. It's for an 88 trooper but a lot of the stuff will be applicable

·
Registered
'02 Passport 3.2/5 Sp MUA
61 Posts
Haynes manuals are garbage. The timing belt alignment instructions are no bueno and the torque specs suck also. Just to name a few issues. (At least for my 3.2 Rodeo)

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
You might start by providing pictures of your engine compartment. I would suspect you may have some vacuum hoses either misrouted, missing, unhooked, or the more common cracked ends causing leaks. Pictures may help us help you identify.
There should be a vacuum hose diagram on the underside of the hood. You may be able to carefully follow this and see if they are all hooked up correctly. Someone has already mentioned the possibility of an alternator issue. That usually causes them to start and then quit. Dennis

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,344 Posts
will second Dennis take on the vacuum lines. Going back over lots of 2.6 engine issues I'm pretty sure you would find vacuum leaks disrupting an otherwise normal running engine on lots of them. I have a vacuum gauge permanently hooked up and mounted on my dash and it's very sensitive to vacuum changes and will even respond to the manual choke being moved. A good starting point would be to get a diagram of the vacuum hose routing, one may be on the hood underside and redo all the lines with new hose routed correctly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts