Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1994 Amigo that I have taken great care of. It’s been idling high and then occasionally drops very low. I have cleaned the throttle body and tried another mass air flow sensor. I don’t see anything that resembles an Idle Air Control valve on the throttle body. There is only a throttle position sensor, which I replaced with a factory part. Does anyone know if the 2.6L has one, and where it is located?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
It's located on the underneath side of the intake manifold, about 2/3 of the way back. Try the search function here. Here's one.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I will try to find it. Do I have to remove the manifold to get to it? It sounds like it is hard to remove.

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
258 Posts
Another technique you could try before replacing it is to soak the vacuum line going to it in PB Blaster / penetrating fluid overnight with enough fluid to submerge the IAC. Quite a few people have had luck with that.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I've never had to mess with any of mine, only time I see one is when I have an intake pulled to replace a head. Think I've heard of some going in through the passenger fenderwell. I'd try Tentin's suggestion of an overnight soak. It's the large hose on the firewall side of the throtttle body. MarkB.NV used to have quite a few posts with very good pics. Not sure if they made it through this forum change.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went in with a flashlight and really didn't know what I was looking for. I was looking for a plug with a vacuum hose near it. I will definitely try to soak the hose. It seems like I would have to take the manifold off and that is beyond my skill/comfort level. I will search for the pictures, too. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
258 Posts

This video shows the location at 2:25 ish. I couldn't really see it by eye when I looked for it myself, but used my phone to take a video with the flash on to locate it. Then just follow that hose, unplug it, and fill it up for a good 24 hours.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

This video shows the location at 2:25 ish. I couldn't really see it by eye when I looked for it myself, but used my phone to take a video with the flash on to locate it. Then just follow that hose, unplug it, and fill it up for a good 24 hours.
I'm confused, so you mean to remove the hose completely and soak it in a bath? Is it the inside that matters? Like could you just tape off one side and fill the hose? What's the issue that's being solved when you do this?

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
No, they pour solvent down the hose where gravity takes it o the IAC. To diagnose if IAC is ACTUALLY that problem, warm it up, remove that hose and plug it with something. If idle becomes normal, problem is the IAC. If not, look elsewhere.
Have ALL small vacuum hoses been replaced? This is usually the starting point for idle issues. Dennis

Reactions: gruff54

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm confused, so you mean to remove the hose completely and soak it in a bath? Is it the inside that matters? Like could you just tape off one side and fill the hose? What's the issue that's being solved when you do this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the video. That really helps! I will try spraying out the hose. Just to clarify…I spray PB blaster n the hose and let it soak. I should not spray it in the IAC?

·
Registered
95 Pickup, 98 Amigo
258 Posts
Yeah pull off the other end of the hose (the side not directly touching the IAC). And then spray like a quarter of a can into it. It'll make sense once you identify it. It's like making a beer bong of PB blaster for the IAC to get shoved down it's throat.

The hose had a hose clamp I couldn't see until I was eye level with it. Make sure to remove that before tugging on the line.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah pull off the other end of the hose (the side not directly touching the IAC). And then spray like a quarter of a can into it. It'll make sense once you identify it. It's like making a beer bong of PB blaster for the IAC to get shoved down it's throat.

The hose had a hose clamp I couldn't see until I was eye level with it. Make sure to remove that before tugging on the line.
I was able to pull the hose off under the manifold and I filled it with PB Blaster. I will leave it and try to start it in a day or two. It appears that I could reach up and undo the two bolts if I wanted to remove the IAC. People mentioned it is impossible. It is a 2Wd. I took a picture from underneath. Am I oversimplifying the removal process?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
2 wheel drive makes all the difference in the world. With 4wd, the front diff and driveshaft are in the way. If you pull the valve off, it should be open (see through it) when cold or not energized. If you apply power, you can watch the little valve close. Dennis

1 - 14 of 14 Posts