Isuzu SUV Forum banner
221 - 229 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
installed new wiper blades. checked engine oil. added coolant to the rad AND the overflow tank. can always smell coolant in the cab, but there is no wet spot on the floor...so ignorance is bliss. plus, an odd gurgling when shut off at operating temp....meh...has a new rad & rad cap....
it doesnt see many miles lately, the wife has been spending more time at home, plus if its only the two of us going to town we take the car...the 30 year old car still gets a measly 50 + mpg, so why not?

may change the rear springs, those moog replacements seem to have sagged enough, i have the heavier duty moogs in a box upstairs...just need to cut the pig-tails off...

and maybe kyb shocks. it seems mushy again on the road and over bumps.....i may get 2 weeks off, over christmas...need to keep myself busy...

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
changed oil & filter...20w 50 is too heavy for winter use...havent put the usual amount of km that i (wife) usually put on it...

rad was low; it gurgles when engine is shut off, hot ....hmm....
when i checked it this morning, cold but in the shop, the rad still had pressure in it..like it had been running....but was low, but it never sucked any out of the overflow tank....weird....it has a newer rad cap and newer rad...so, i put a used rad cap on from one of my cars....will see if it makes a difference.
5w30 oil will be a little better for winter.

and the cruise is really acting up; it will engage and work for 2 or 3 miles, then shut off, sometimes it grabs then shuts off almost instantly, and then wont engage again after that....
no engine or transmission codes...

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 · (Edited)
no more rad gurgles with an old oem suzuki rad cap installed....the new subaru one must not fit quite properly....

leaking rh front caliper...was replaced in 2018....
this will be the 4th time , replacing calipers. already replaced 3 on the drivers side... crappy reman parts...

rock auto, $91 for a caliper...locally, $101....i can get it quicker locally, i should have ordered it earlier in the week, it would have been here for week-end replacement....oh well...

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
installed another reman caliper. this time it came with the mounting bracket, stainless pad hardware, re-sleeved slide pin holes, new slide pins, banjo bolt and copper washers...the last ones i bought 3 ~4 years ago did not come with any of that....just a caliper in a box .
so i need to return the bracket as well, then i get my $50 core deposit back....

bleed the brake caliper, and topped up the fluid.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
TRANSMISSION DECIDED TO QUIT WHEN THE WIFE HAD AN EMERGENCY RUN TO THE VET.....figures.

dragged it home with the pontiac firefly. yes, PONTIAC FIREFLY. 50 km, or 30 miles? firefly did well dragging the dead trooper home.
and it was a blizzard out. and monday. FFS

oh well. have a back up trooper to drive, while i figure out what to do with this one.

70 km short of 450, 000 km.....dammit

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
removed skid-plates, driveshafts, exhaust & rear crossmember mount.... broke 3 of 4 nuts / bolts at the cat convertor connection....meh, will install new bolts anyways...AND install a proper drainplug on the trans pan....
i was mostly puttering around on it....a hoist would be really nice, laying on my creeper under it, even with it up high on jackstands, is a pain in the back....but money is needed for a hoist, and EVERYTHING has been costing more and more lately...i gotta win that lottery , one of these days....

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
today.....
trans and transfer case are out...split and dropped the transfer case , then dropped the trans....

will spit the trans open and dump the fluid into my drain bench...the oil is really dark and burnt.

221 - 229 of 229 Posts