Isuzu SUV Forum banner
201 - 220 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
no more idle variations in park....cleaning out that egr system helped with that. no coolant leaks now that its warmer out. that Valvoline oil i put in sure makes it run smooth and silent...last oil was quaker state.....
i run whatever is on sale, except for wal-mart cheap oil....its usually pennzoil, valvoline or quaker, i pick it up for $14~ 16 per 5 liter jug...brenda goes thru 2 or 3 liters between oil changes...
there was mobile 1 syn on sale for $19 a jug, missed that deal, someone bought the entire pallet at that price...none left for anyone else :(

but last time i tried syn in the trooper it smoked REALLY BAD....

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
died 3 times on thursday when the wife was driving it.....but fired right back up...will check it for codes. had a similar issue a few years ago, checked codes and changed the crank angle sensor and the issue went away....will check fuel pressure, gotta love the engineer that put the Schrader valve port WAAAYYY at the back of the engine/ intake...... :evil:

might swap out the rear coils to the stiffer ones, these coils are new-ish but seem to have ''sagged'' out , now the front is higher than the rear... :blackeye:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
took some garbage to the dump, the trooper didnt die on me, but was really gutless. i am leaning towards fuel pump, the fpr has been replaced, but i guess that could be weak/ failing.
from a dead stop it doesnt have the git up n go it usually has, it struggles to get to second gear at full throttle, really slow winding up. wouldnt even break the tires loose on gravel...
gotta get my other car out of the shop first. one vehicle taken apart at a time, or nothing gets done....

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
diagnosed a poor fuel pump, tried dropping tank (that was a waste of time) cut hole thru floor to get at pump, get pump out like in 10 minutes, notice its a CARTER pump on the hanger, the pump sock not even on the pump, it had fallen off at some point in time, was not even in the baffled area around the pump, but off to the left...and a plastic elbow, that snaps onto the pump, then the sock...loose in there as well... :shock:
pump ordered, now hurry up and wait...nope...now onto those fuel injectors... :?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
injectors out, in a box ready to be shipped out, to be tested, cleaned &re tested...

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
new fuel pump & sock is installed, screws replaced in the mounting flange, wiring repaired from pump to harness, broken wires repaired that go to the sending unit (now the low fuel light works! )new fuel filter installed, all buttoned up and now waiting for the injectors to come back, sent them away monday...

need to make a patch plate for the floor... :blackeye:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
the injectors were not as bad as the guy thought they would be, for 450,xxx + km on them....they are all cleaned up and on their way back to me....he finished them yesterday, i doubt they will get back to me for this week-end...oh well.
some of the injectors had corrosion on the electrical connections...need to clean that up as well
still need to fab up a cover for the rear floor.

i really hope it runs better, doing the injectors. it would be a waste of time and money, if it still runs the same after they are cleaned/ refurbished...
the pictures i received of the filters in the injectors were really dirty, as compared to the new filters... so just maybe, fingers crossed, it runs better...

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
injectors arrived yesterday, will tackle them this week-end.....

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
injectors are in, engine was running.....had a large fuel leak from the fpr....i guess i lost the o-ring... :blackeye:
i thought i had another fpr, nope, wasted some time looking for the old one, no luck, so i stacked 4 gasoline safe o-rings to fill the void, put the lines back on, test ran the fuel system, no leaks... :D
will put the coolant lines and coolant BACK in tomorrow morning....enough for today...
but when it was running, it was smooth... 8)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
well, got it all assembled this morning, no leaks, drove to town with no issues, and started on the first crank every time- it hasn't done that in a long time...so maybe it was the fuel pump on its way out, with the dirty injectors not helping the situation..
needs an oil change
and the cruise doesn't want to stay engaged....imagine that...

·
Registered
765 Posts
IMG_2126.JPG

IMG_2128.JPG

IMG_2131.JPG

that was the week-end

and changed the oil and filter yesterday.

seems to be running really smooth, and so far easier on fuel...i like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Good to hear the fuel injector service had some benefit!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
still have a rough idle at first start-up, like a dead plug, but let it run for 30 seconds or so and it clears up....its due for some spark plugs anyways, so i might as well do that. maybe poor lifters...ya know, it almost has 500,xxx km on it.... 8)
the wires and coils are newer....i chased this before, i believe i changed the plugs and it ran fine...
but it sure is better on fuel. and starts every time on the first crank...that i believe is from changing the fuel pump...the check valve must have been no good in the carter pump that i pulled out of the tank...

now to decide on which ngk plugs to install....there are so many different types.... :roll:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
just maybe tomorrow i will tackle the steering box i bought from another forum member...will work outside on the house until it gets too hot , then retreat to the cool shop to install said steering box....

jack of all trades, master of two :blackeye:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
well, that went easier than i anticipated....steering box has been replaced , 443,xxx on the oem one....
steering is tighter, alot less play....but the true test will be when wifey takes it for a drive....
3 hours, start to finish...it makes it easy when you have the proper tools for removal.

maybe kyb shocks next... :D

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
wifey approves the replacement steering box... :D

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
it was too windy to work outside today , so...
changed the engine oil and the spark plugs- none of the wires broke while removing them ! and boy were the plugs worn....gap was over 50 thou, but they were all burning good, no oily plugs, and only one spark plug tube had a little oil in it. very little.
so install new plugs, lube the boots really good so they dont stick again.
then went after a non-working / improper selecting hvac control....the cable works good, but the dial skipped a few teeth....hmmm...take dash bezel out...loosen hvac controls...loosen the pivot screw, re-align the teeth, but the box doesnt move as smoothly as possible...removed the cable, BROKE 1/2 THE PLASTIC RETAINING BARB , removed the pivoting selector arm. lubed up the tracks/ guides, re-assemble and test...it gets hung up just before it switches to full defrost...
not sure if i need a replacement heater box, or just the adjuster parts....but they are all worn out at the same rate, so...yeah.

a small expansion spring may help it go thru the selections easier, and return to full defrost... might try that.
i lubed up the door hinges ,door latches and door switches, the kid lubed up all the door seals.

also removed the underhood sound insulation...i am tired of mouse poop always falling out of there when i open the hood. replaced the washer sprayer tee, it broke when the insulation panel came out... :roll:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
changed oil & filter a few days ago....still has a stumble on first start-up, and now, at idle when hot, the idle hunts up and down...checked for codes, none found...possibly clogged coolant tubes in the throttle body? egr getting plugged up again?
when i finish more of the outdoor projects, i will do some deeper diagnostics / egr cleaning....AGAIN....

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
changed out a burnt out brake lamp light bulb. vacuumed the interior AGAIN....damn mice.....
cleaned &re-lubed the rear door interior lamp door switches....they were sticking really bad....cleaned out the slides with brake-cleen, then lubed with teflon spray....
put about 1/2 a liter of oil in the engine, topped up coolant & washer fluid. its been running fairly good. need to rotate the tires....get it winter ready...

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 · (Edited)
yesterday - grooved, rotated , then adjusted psi in tires...greased the driveline & front suspension... added 1/2 liter of atf to trans...thats about as winter ready as it gets. forgot to change the wiper blades, minor detail...
will pick up more wiper blades next week, local place has winter blades on sale for $4 each, any size....to hell with paying $22 or more for blades....

201 - 220 of 220 Posts