Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am in the UK with a Japanese imported Trooper. The things great apart from I'm getting a serious steering wheel wobble at speeds from 50-70MPH. I have had the wheels & tryes balanced, to no remedy. Has anyone got any ideas? I'm going to get the tracking checked today to see if that helps.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey there, Big_Nige!

Have you tried rotating the tires? I'd swap a tire from the front with one from the rear, one at a time, and see if you can isolate which tire is the problem. Apart from tires, wheel trueness and roundness, and tracking (alignment for those of us on the west side of "the pond"), I can't think of what would be causing that only at a certain range of speed.

I wonder if maybe one of the tires (tyres - whatever) is bad. Swap, the left-hand tires with each other. If the problem remains, swap them back and then swap the right ones. If the problem still remains, it's either not tires at all, or they're all bad, which is a lot less likely.

Tracking (alignment) shouldn't cause a wobble, especially only at certain speeds, but if something's actually loose in your steering, I could definitely see that being a problem. The other thing I wonder is what size tires are you running, and are they mounted on stock (or otherwise Isuzu-type) wheels?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, cheers for the reply. I didnt think the tracking would make a difference either. I'll go back to the tracking place this afternoon & get the others swapped over! The other thing is a slight vagueness in the wheel in its central position. Having driven other troopers this was what i expected as it's an off roader not a Porsche! No kncoks, clanks or any other noise on power pickup or otherwise!

I'll check the tyres & report back.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Big_Nige said:
Hi, cheers for the reply. I didnt think the tracking would make a difference either. I'll go back to the tracking place this afternoon & get the others swapped over! The other thing is a slight vagueness in the wheel in its central position. Having driven other troopers this was what i expected as it's an off roader not a Porsche! No kncoks, clanks or any other noise on power pickup or otherwise!

This might be of interest to you as well:

http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/88

I'd check: tie rod ends, ball joints, and the front bushings.

-Tad

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
erstrooper said:
Hey there, Big_Nige!

Have you tried rotating the tires? I'd swap a tire from the front with one from the rear, one at a time, and see if you can isolate which tire is the problem. Apart from tires, wheel trueness and roundness, and tracking (alignment for those of us on the west side of "the pond"), I can't think of what would be causing that only at a certain range of speed.

I wonder if maybe one of the tires (tyres - whatever) is bad. Swap, the left-hand tires with each other. If the problem remains, swap them back and then swap the right ones. If the problem still remains, it's either not tires at all, or they're all bad, which is a lot less likely.

Tracking (alignment) shouldn't cause a wobble, especially only at certain speeds, but if something's actually loose in your steering, I could definitely see that being a problem. The other thing I wonder is what size tires are you running, and are they mounted on stock (or otherwise Isuzu-type) wheels?
Hi, the tyres are 245/70R16 1070 fitted to genuine Isuzu wheels that are all balanced OK.

I'll do a test run in the morning to see if the tracking (it was 4mm out) & swapping the rear wheels for the fronts has any effects!

Another post has indicated possible bush/tie rod/ball joint problems along with a badly adjusted steering box.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tad said:
Big_Nige said:

This might be of interest to you as well:

http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/88

I'd check: tie rod ends, ball joints, and the front bushings.

-Tad
Hi Tad, he did this today & the tightening of the steering box helped the slightly vague feel to the steering, but the wobble is still there. It also sllightly pulls to the right under load & braking. We dirive on the left here & it should pull to the left due to the road camber???

Anyone think this may have some bearing on the situation?

It's off in on Saturday morning for a full once over etc.

Any more ideas?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,

Do you get a slight vibration when braking as well as the pull to the right.

If so, the chances are you have a warped right hand brake disk. This occurs when the heat from the brake pads is transfered to the disk by sitting at stop lights with the foot break on.

Hope this helps

Tony

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
I agree with the brake comment, certainly check the rotors. Really there are few things that can make the front end wobble (and fewer things in the rear).

*Steering - worn tie rod ends or center link.
*Bushings - either upper or lower control arm bushings, however most of the time the uppers tend to go first
*Ball Joints - sometimes they have grease fittings, but they are easy enough to check with a small pry-bar
*Bearings - They can either wear out or need repacking. See http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/56 for a howto on bearing repacking.
*Brakes - if a rotor is extremely warped, it can cause the wheel to wobble when driving. This can usually also be felt in the brake pedal when braking.
*Tires - not just balance, but out of round tires can cause problems. (I have 4 tires, and they can't be rotated. If I swap any of them to another position on the vehicle, the truck pulls or wobbles)

Just work through the list to eliminate those items.

-Tad

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TonyTrooper said:
Hi,

Do you get a slight vibration when braking as well as the pull to the right.

If so, the chances are you have a warped right hand brake disk. This occurs when the heat from the brake pads is transfered to the disk by sitting at stop lights with the foot break on.

Hope this helps

Tony
Hi Tony, not that i can tell & as the cars an automatic it gets stuck in nuetral with the handbrake on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tad said:
I agree with the brake comment, certainly check the rotors. Really there are few things that can make the front end wobble (and fewer things in the rear).

*Steering - worn tie rod ends or center link.
*Bushings - either upper or lower control arm bushings, however most of the time the uppers tend to go first
*Ball Joints - sometimes they have grease fittings, but they are easy enough to check with a small pry-bar
*Bearings - They can either wear out or need repacking. See http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/56 for a howto on bearing repacking.
*Brakes - if a rotor is extremely warped, it can cause the wheel to wobble when driving. This can usually also be felt in the brake pedal when braking.
*Tires - not just balance, but out of round tires can cause problems. (I have 4 tires, and they can't be rotated. If I swap any of them to another position on the vehicle, the truck pulls or wobbles)

Just work through the list to eliminate those items.

-Tad
Cheers Tad, will do, are there any aftermarket poly type bushes available for this car? stops them wearing out so fast!

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
I wouldn't say that the rubber ones wear out fast - in my experience 160-200k miles.

I don't know of poly bushings off hand. Some leaf spring poly bushings might fit in there, as the shape is about the same, although for another 160k miles, I'll go for the quiet rubber bushings.

-Tad

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tad said:
I wouldn't say that the rubber ones wear out fast - in my experience 160-200k miles.

I don't know of poly bushings off hand. Some leaf spring poly bushings might fit in there, as the shape is about the same, although for another 160k miles, I'll go for the quiet rubber bushings.

-Tad
Yikes, my car has 41000 genuine miles on it. The car is utterly mint in all areas, you could eat you dinner off the chassis etc. What do you think about dampers causing this kind of thing? Having said that it's damping is well controlled & there is noo diving/bounce etc.

I'll lick it though as i love the thing to bits. Makes my wifes AUDI A4 convertible seem 'boring' !!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Big_Nige said:
Hi, I am in the UK with a Japanese imported Trooper. The things great apart from I'm getting a serious steering wheel wobble at speeds from 50-70MPH. I have had the wheels & tryes balanced, to no remedy. Has anyone got any ideas? I'm going to get the tracking checked today to see if that helps.
SORTED!!!!

Believe it or not the balancing machine was duff! Got it re-balanced today & they took off 1kg in weights! Thought they put to much on.

Now, this is my fav machine ever & I have had some serious motors in my life, this is the dogs twitcher!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.