Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, my 92 Isuzu Trooper's speedo is not working. The odometer works great, but no speedo?

On a few occasions, after hitting a large bump the speedo works for a bit - but then quits. The auto trans shifts well - no problems.

Can I assume since the odometer is working, that the speed sensor in the transmission is ok?

Therefore is there a problem in the actual speedo head?

btw-there are no check engine light problems

Thanks for your help!

Aivars Berzins

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
You have a speedo cable. You either have a problem in the speedo itself or at the tail shaft. I'm guessing that it's in the speedo itself because if it was in the tailhousing you'd not get any odo movement.

Have fun taking the dash apart.

Joe

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Whoa wait a minute. My dad's 92 Trooper had an electronic speedo. When the sender failed the speedo dropped to 0 and shortly later the ECU shut the engine off. It was able to be restarted but every X miles it would shut off the engine. Replacing it isn't that hard, but it sounds like your problem is in the gauge itself if the odometer still works. You might want to watch ebay for a gauge cluster if it bothers you.

-Tad

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Whoa wait a minute. My dad's 92 Trooper had an electronic speedo.
I guess that's what i get for talking out of my ***.

I was assuming that the 92 still had a cable.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Tad said:
Whoa wait a minute. ...it sounds like your problem is in the gauge itself if the odometer still works. You might want to watch ebay for a gauge cluster if it bothers you.

-Tad
agree with tad on all this,

but would add that it might be worthwhile to visually inspect the circuit board of the instrument cluster. you might get lucky and be able to see a break in a solder joint and/or line of solder. (i did with my radio).

removal is real easy. find and remove about 8 +/- phillips head screws holding the instrument dash plastic trim and with the adjustable steering wheel turned all the way down, pull the trim out carefully, reach behind and disconnect a few electrical connectors to switches, lighter and dash lights. then you'll see the obvious screws to remove to easily (carefully) remove the instrument cluster as a unit (you will disconnect the cluster's electrical connector as you go.) piece of cake. and you might get lucky.

good luck.

btw, the process tad described about the engine shutting down also happens if you have that circuit's fuse out. and it happens at *any* time -- including in the fast lane going 70 at night. yikes :!:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I drive a '93 4x4 Trooper. About a month ago the speedometer and odometer stopped working. The speedometer was always slow to startup and required me driving a certain distance to get it started. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Also, my Rr Anti-Lock and Brake lights are visible on occasion.....

I apologize for being a n00b in advance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.