Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up an 92 5spd trooper today at a good price. It has 245k on it but it runs strong other than the engine being noisy. It has never been wrecked and the AC works good. This is just going to be something to run back and forth to work until it dies. What should I address on the vehicle as far as maintenance? Anything I can do to quiet the engine down a bit? I was suprised at the power this thing had for as old as it is and the mileage! Any input?

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Odds are that has the 175 hp SOHC V6, which has hydraulic lifters that commonly get gummed up and noisy. Running synthetic oil, especially diesel grade with it's increase detergents, can diminish this noise over time. Or you can get more aggressive and try some Sea Foam in the oil for a couple of minutes before changing the oil.

Another common cause of noise is a bad timing belt tensioner. It can sound like anything from a tick to a knock that sounds like a rod knock but isn't. If the sound goes away above 2000-2500 rpm, this is the likely cause. Pretty easy and inexpensive to fix, the part is about $65 or so.

Or, just tell everybody it is a diesel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts