Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

I have a '92 3.1L turbo deisel trooper and i want to lift it and lift it high. The thing is, im not sure how high i can make it go with the IFS setup that it has while still maintaining track width and such.

I have seen many lift kits that will do 2" but i was looking for more than that. Does anyone know of any kits or methods to lift the 92 trooper higher than this?This will be the first 4x4 that i lift so any ideas / hints are welcome.

Ive seen pictures of a few troopers with a solid front axle but im not sure i want to go that far. If anyone has done this, how has it affected onroad performance and cornering and such? How much of an improvement off road has it been?

I went through some mud with 14 other cars the other weekend and spent most of my time pulling out Landcruisers, patrols and other cars and only got stuck once because my fuel tank and rear diff got stuck to the mud in a creek crossing. I love the car, but want more clearance so i can do even more in it. I want bigger tyres on it as well with the lift so im trying to figure out how to get more power from the engine too. If anyone has any tips on that it would be helpful. I havnt done much but i plan to replace the exahaust, air intake and possibly reposition the intercooler. Also some lockers are on the cards.

Paul

·
Registered
808 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
well, air lockers get awfully picey- if you are "in the market" for air lockers, then you might find yourself financially capable of a Solid Axle Swap.

With solid axles, and extensive mods, there is practically no limit to how much lift, and flex you can potencially get. Sticking with the IFS however, isn't all that bad, and saves a ton of complications and money.

I mean- unless you want to make your trooper an all out rock crawling machine, you shouldn't need to do a SAS.

There are kits available, that can give you a very decent 3 inches of suspension lift... As I recall, some folks are running 33+inch tires on troopers with a little lift like that without any problems.

there are also kits available for an additional 3 inches of body lift, but body lifts get complicated, you have to take a lot of components into consideration. (shift linkage, steering column, and more)...

So basically, a Total of about 6 inches lift is possible through these available kits with your exsisting IFS... in theory, with the body lift also, and maybe some trimming, this could put you in the 35 inch tire range area.

as for engine power... a better solution that is more trail friendly, is to lower your axle gears. It will help overcome larger tires in normal 2H driving, but at the same time, will help bring your slow-creep speed back down to a reasonable speed after moving up to big tires. For many of these isuzus, and axle gear change, is the ONLY way to get slow down the creep speed. Aren't a lot of options for transfer case mods or upgrades from what I know.

remember one thing.... The trooper, is built on mostly the same driveline as the rodeo, you could say, the rodeo is overbuilt for it's weight, ( it is)... but just take it easy on her, it's a heavy vehicle, when you start throwing it's weight around you can potencially brake things.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mdocod said:
There are kits available, that can give you a very decent 3 inches of suspension lift... As I recall, some folks are running 33+inch tires on troopers with a little lift like that without any problems.

there are also kits available for an additional 3 inches of body lift, but body lifts get complicated, you have to take a lot of components into consideration. (shift linkage, steering column, and more)...

So basically, a Total of about 6 inches lift is possible through these available kits with your exsisting IFS... in theory, with the body lift also, and maybe some trimming, this could put you in the 35 inch tire range area.
If thats the case then that sounds enough to me. I dont want a rock crawler at this stage in my 4wd driving career so i would be happy with 33's with the option of 35's.

At the moment i dont have a porblem with downhill speed creeping, i get at lesat 1000rpm better downhills than my parents 2000 model jackaroo but the axle gearing sounds like a good option for power changes. Ive also been investigating Terralow transfer case gears, but i will only go for them if i find that i need them after my modifications.

Thanks for the suggestions so far and if anyone else has something to add i would appreciate it.

Paul.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.