Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So My heater core is not hooked up currently, P.O. had it bypassed & didn't say anything about it. I'm torn between hooking it back up to test & just swapping it. Is there a way to test it without hooking it up? (doubt it but have to ask)

If it is bad, how involved is the R & R process? Anyone got a time table? What models use the same core?

~psguardian

·
Registered
877 Posts
Same situation, same question but for a '96

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Here's what I would do.

Get two hoses. Of the right size for the inlet and outlet of the core. And maybe two feet long, each.

Attach said hoses.

On the end of the outlet hose, attach a pressure guage. Make sure all connections on both ends of the hose are super airtight.

On the end of the inlet hose, attach first a ball valve, then the male end of an air hose. Again, make sure everything is airtight.

A car's cooling system gets safely up to around 150 pounds of pressure. So, your home air compressor should not be able to 'inflate' this to it's limits. You may get 100 to 120 pounds of pressure in there. Keep it down to 50 pounds, if you are worried.

Put on the pressure. Close the ball valve.

Now watch the pressure guage to see if it leaks down.

If you lived closer I could come by with all the stuff needed to do this.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
psguardian said:
Yea, I have none of that. Any other options?

~psguardian
Get one piece of hose, and a rubber cap. Put the cap on the outlet. Use a hose clamp.

Put the hose on the inlet. (Yeah, hose clamp.)

Blow on the hose.

You should be able to tell whether it leaks or not.

All the other stuff was just so you could watch it and see if it has a slooooow leak.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man... I was hoping for some incantation to utter from the passenger floor board. I'm not entirely sure I want to fix it lol. If it's a hose sure, if it's a heater core I don't really want to pull the dash.

Anyone know if it can be done without removing the dash?

~psguardian

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took a chance & emailed the lady I bought it from to prod for more details. She said the heater core was bypassed to stop an overheat condition. It was the 'quick n dirty' cheap alt to 'a lot of man hours & $'... That tells me the shop was going to dig into a heater core R&R.

Not what I wanted to hear, but it does tip the scales & reduce doubt. The H.C. is bad, now back to a fix. I'm not going to put any of that rad-weld-in-a-bottle in there, so that only leaves remove & reinstall...or sell lol.

Anyone changed a 2nd gen heater core?

~psguardian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts