Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
What transmission? If you have a 92, 4x4 Rodeo, it came with the GM 3.1 V-6. If you can find one, certain year Chevy 2.2 4 cylinder engines (NOT to be confused with the Isuzu 2.2) will match the bell housing (not sure about which side the starter will mount up to. Dennis

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
I had an 81 'Yota 4x4 with the 22r (carbed), swapped in a 20R. I've had a few Isuzu 2.6s and a few 2.3s. I prefer the Isuzu 4 bangers because of the timing belt. The Yota chain looks to be a bear to change.
I would stick with the GM V-6. Unless you go old school carb change, ANYTHING is going to be an electronic nightmare. You would also have bell housing / mount, radiator / oil pan clearance issues

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Considering a 22r carbed is maybe 100hp, you'd be taking quite a step back from the V6, which is around 120hp and 165 lb-ft of torque. That 22r is gonna struggle dragging around a 3700-lb Beast.

The 3.1 is not exactly a fireball when stock, but the engine responds very well to traditional hot-rod techniques that improve airflow-in and exhaust-out.

One very simple and zero-cost mod you can do is to merely flip-over the air cleaner lid. This lets more air in and the engine will breathe more freely. Going to a less restrictive, larger-sized exhaust gives a big gain in midrange-to-upper-end performance. 2-1/4" will give good performance without killing the low-end response. Use a free-breathing turbo muffler. The stock exhaust is extremely restrictive.

You can bore out the intake manifold holes and install a Throttle Body Unit out of a GM 4.3 V6. This TBI has 1-11/16" throats (larger than the 2.8/3.1 TBI) and will flow more air.

Another worthwhile engine mod is to install a set of Comp Cams Magnum roller-tip rocker arms with a 1.6:1 ratio. Stock ratio is 1.52:1. The increased ratio gives you more valve lift and a bit more duration, so you'll see good gains in performance when combined with intake and exhaust mods. The roller tips give less friction, reduced oil temps and less wear on the valve stems.

If you want to go deeper into the engine, Comp Cams sells a "252" torquer grind that's suitable for the power curve you need to drag a heavy SUV around. They sell a complete kit that includes cam, special valve springs, locks & retainers, and timing set. Around $460, prices have been going up though and supply might be an issue. Many parts are usually available on eBay, and Jegs/Summit sell the Comp Cams parts too.

Here's an old but very good article on GM 60-degree V6 power tricks; you can get sparkling performance out of your Little V6 That Could:

The ultimate engine swap would be from a '93-'95 Camaro/Firebird 3.4 which will "plug in" in place of your 3.1, with a few relatively simple mods. It'll bolt right up to your current transmission with a starter mounting holes relocation.

HTH, post any questions you may have and we can walk you thru........ed

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had an 81 'Yota 4x4 with the 22r (carbed), swapped in a 20R. I've had a few Isuzu 2.6s and a few 2.3s. I prefer the Isuzu 4 bangers because of the timing belt. The Yota chain looks to be a bear to change.
I would stick with the GM V-6. Unless you go old school carb change, ANYTHING is going to be an electronic nightmare. You would also have bell housing / mount, radiator / oil pan clearance issues
I like the 3.1 with the 4.10 gear combo but I really don’t like the electrical nightmares I’ve been having. I’m old school, I love carbs and will probably change if it keeps giving me problems. Right now I’ve replaced both injectors and rebuilt the distributor and replaced the computer, got too much invested to change now. When I get the heads back on I hope I won’t have anymore problems for a while

·
Registered
4,380 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can install a non-computer-controlled distributor and use an adapter to mount a Holley 350 or 500 CFM carb atop your stock manifold.

'82 S-10 non-California distributor:

Carb adapter:

So there's your backup plan! Hopefully you won't have to do that, the GM TBI system is actually pretty good when it's working properly.
I know but I’ve just got to get it put back together and see what happens

1 - 8 of 8 Posts