Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys figured I would start a thread for my trusty '92 Amigo. This is going to be a very slow build cause of family, work and financial constraints. I have two great little boys, both under 18 months. As I am able to I will add what I have done with it and post pics as best as I can.

I bought it at a local buy here pay here lot after having a 2000 Chevy blazer that had a crack in the radiator. Well I fell in love with the looks and convinced the now fiance that it would be a good buy since at the time no kids and we didn't have many people ride with us anywhere. I have had it for almost three years now and it has been the most reliable rig I have owned, no major repairs just regular maintenance when I could do it. Well I finally got a chance to start working on it and changed a few things.

First off I finally got a chance to get a new set of tires for the rig. I scored a practically brand new set of Goodyear Duratracs off craigslist from a jeep guy who just traded in his jeep. They only cost me $500 for them and I had Walmart mount them on my snowflakes for $68. Not a bad deal considering the closest I was gonna be able to get was Treadwrights which would have been about $30 bucks more than these all said and done. Here she is at walmart right before the tire change.....

Wasn't able to get a pic right after they were mounted but here is one from the next morning at my work. Please excuse the dirty wheels they are in serious need of a good cleaning.

Well I also was able to score a new gauge cluster from ************** from his 88 spacecab so now my amigo will have more than a speedo, gas, and temp gauge. I have installed the cluster but haven't been able to test it out because on my way home from work the positive battery cable decided to break on me and so there is enough of a connection to get everything to light up but when I try to start it its a no go. Will be fixing that tomorrow. But here is the cluster when I got it in the mail from johnny.

Surprisingly my truck only has just over 174k and the new gauges have just over 161k, so not too far off.

I also was able to talk to the legendary Mr Lemond and get a set of shop manuals for the '91 Amigo which is the same as a '92, and the electrical troubleshooting manual as well. Once I opened them all I can say is holy cow there is a ton of detailed info in them. Here is a shot of them fresh from the box...

Well that is what I have for now, I plan on getting the cable fixed on her tomorrow and starting her up and testing the cluster and getting pics of it installed. The install was surprisingly simple. I have a dream list of what I want to do to her but that can wait for another post.

Thanks for reading this long winded post and hope to be able to do more in a timely manner since I have now been able to return to work after 6 months off from an accident involving some douche stealing my van and breaking my ankle, so funds should be in better supply just the convincing the better half its all worth it. :D

Justin

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have had the duratracs on for a little but and love them, they have a nice quiet hum doing anything over 30. The gauges are great but the speedo is show by about 7 miles an hour and which is kinda weird since my other gauge was right on with the new tires and everything, but I noticed the speedo needle is below 0 unlike my original gauge which sits right on 0, so gotta figure that out eventually. Its weird that the oil pressure gauge is maxed out since I don't have a sending unit yet.

Well now I gotta figure out the right leaf springs to get a one inch lift and then look at trying to clean up the wheels a little. slowly get to my whole wish list.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The amigo looks good, with two newborns I am surprised you were able to get the tires approve by House appropriations. I bought one 4 years ago for my son and it was hit by an uninsured motorist. My son was going to send it to the boneyard so I took it over as a excuse to drink beer and unwind. Nothing is more fun than working on a project that you don't have to drive to work in the morning.
My budget is extremely tight also, I have two in college so I spend a lot of time on labor intensive low budget tasks for this amigo. I assemble a list of tasks and keep a log of what parts I will need written down and in my car. When I drive by a "you Pull It" Lot, I have the list and buy what I can afford.

I wish I had a 4 wheel Drive, as a 2WD this thing is a blast I could only imagine.

You had asked my to post pics of my amigo after I have sprayed the bottom half with bed liner, take a look, search for "Project Adios Amigo"

·
Registered
337 Posts
Love it! I would love an Amigo one day.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I definitely want a trooper one of these years but first have to get the amigo right first.

Rndmcardle I saw your thread on the rebuild of your amigo, have to say awesome job on it, and the only reason I got the tires approved was because it was after we got our tax return back and the tires on it were about to fall apart.

West coast trooper I like your build too, I have been following it for a while, just wished I had more time to go hit some trails cause then I would suggest hooking up for a run but my "free" time is adsorbed by my boys so no wheeling anytime soon unfortunately.

Well I finally did some more maintenance to her and did an oil change about 7k late and the oil was black, I couldn't get my hands on some rotella oil so I went with one of the new half recycled ones and will be changing it again with another new filter in about 2k our before the summer is over whichever is first. I also need to do a valve adjustment on her but don't have the feeler gauge and I am really nervous about messing with the valve train cause it would be my first time on any vehicle.

Well time for me to get back to work.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Oh wow! You're pretty close to me. I have gages and have adjusted valves before, you're more than welcome to come on up and do some work here if you'd like.

Reactions: Selahdoor

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the offer mediamonkey, I would rake you up on it but I'm up almost on the canadian border now so seattle is kinda a drive, plus I gotta learn to do it myself and put the shop manuals to use that I convinced my fiance I needed :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright guys I am gonna do a valve adjustment this weekend and I need advice on which valve gasket to get, I know jerry is the best place to get one but I am running tight on funds and when I go to do it I will be buying the parts the same day as I am doing the work. Ask advice is appreciated, and I have a napa and oreilly's near by for parts. Thanks for any help you can give!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well did a little bit of work on the girl today cause yesterday my fiance decided that we should go to a JY and pull a seat belt buckle for an explorer we have. While I was there I looked at all the isuzus I could and found a window regulator for the passenger side that I have been needing for a long time since some jack *** kids decided to break in to my car. Also got some bolts for the rear seat belts and almost had belt buckles but wasn't sure if the trooper that I found would fit mine and didn't pull them just in case they didn't and looking they would have :-(. Want to make another run down to the JY soon cause they have a few troopers, a bunch of rodeos, a couple pups and of all things an impulse that I wanted to find but ran out of time since my two boys were in the car with the fiance waiting, I will let you all know when I go and more than willing to look for parts for others while I am there.
Also I tried to adjust my parking brake and got it where there wasn't any slack and then tried it and it just made it loose again so looks like I will need to look into the brakes and see what is going on there.

So looks like I am putting the valve adjustment off for another week cause I didn't get the gaskets yet, so hopefully next weekend I will get to it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
remember keep a few tools in your daily driver, you never know when you are going by a you pull it and will need the tools. There is a guy named Ron, his planet name is lowzone. he is really good at letting you know if parts interchange.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
great work so far! I love 1st gen amigo's, thats what I'm fixing to own two of them again :D

Ron is a great guy to work with and can hook you up with just about any parts you need

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love these little beasties too. The sad thing is that there is only 4 that I know of in the area up here and I think I am the only one with a hard top, the rest have soft tops. I keep forgetting that I have a soft top as well in storage but just don't have the frame for it, want to find one but then need to make sure the seal is intact as well.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well looks like I am going to be down by a JY for a company meeting on the 24th of this month so I am going to take advantage and see what I can scavenge for the amigo and see what else I can find thats worth selling. I saw that they have a '85 Trooper that got on the lot on 7/12 and I want to see what its got on it and if anyone wants me to check for something I'm more than happy to see what there is.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright I decided to get something done on the amigo and went out after I got my son down for the night and took a crack at my hub. The driver side hub wouldn't switch all the way to the free position but never seemed to cause a problem so didn't do anything about it till now. So went out and took a look at the hub and found that the spring was a little off and it didn't have much grease on it so I moved the spring, but unfortunately I don't have any grease i couldn't redo it so I put it back together and will make sure I get some grease soon and get it all gooey in there. Now it goes from free to lock with a little resistance but should be better with new grease. Any suggestions on what kind of grease would be best for it?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I was curious what people think of trying to put a round eye grill on the amigo? I know that it would need a fair bit of modding but I kinda like it, but I am not sure what the dimensions of the grill are and if it has an arch across the front or if it is completely straight. So if anyone has one and wants to offer up some stats I would much appreciate it. I decided to try my hand at using paint to see how it looked and here is what i came up with. Its not very pretty and I had to barrow the grill from a pic from Westcoasttrooper.

Ok so i know this is a totally horrible windows paint job but I wanted to see if it would even look good.

And here is how it looks as it sits.

So what do you guys think of it? All opinions welcome even the making fun of the awesome paint skills!

·
Registered
98 Posts
cricket, cricket, cricket. I think I like the original look better but its your ride, no two amigos look the same!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah thats what i'm thinking now too after seeing a round eye grill in person yesterday. Well guess I'll just try to find a way to update the headlights without getting the ebay ones. Just trying to update to a bulb style and get rid of the sealed beams and get more light.

1 - 20 of 208 Posts