Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92 Amigo and it has a bad Vac leak. It will only stay on if I'm holding the gas. I want to try and take the intake off and replace the gasket and the FPR, (I think it coming from the gasket or the fuel pressure regulator) but for some reason it seems impossible to get to some of the bolts to take it off. Is it that hard or am I just trying to hard. I was going to get rid of the truck till I found this forum. Now I think I want to keep it and try some off roading. We just put a rebuilt motor in it a year ago.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Are you sure that it's the intake manifold gasket? If so, that will not be a fun process. There is one nut in particular that you will have a very very hard time accessing. It is essentually under the throttle position sensor. Your best bet is to remove the upper half of the intake, then remove the lower half.

Here is the intake, as seen from the bottom:

There is a nut that's essentially between the two center runners. I've never done it on the truck, and I never want to.

So, what makes you think that the intake manifold gasket is leaky? Have you tried spraying carb cleaner around it to see where the leak is?

-Tad

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sprayed carb cleaner around it and it comes from the left side. I guess I can check again. I can hear a whistling noise coming from it but can't pin point where.

Also it take eat oil like no tomorrow. I can see were oil is leaking from one of the spark plugs. I took that plug out and saw that the thread were all ripped to shreds and the plug was in crooked. If I re tap the head do you think that will stop my oil consumption problem. Other then those two problem the truck is in great shape.

·
Registered
416 Posts
If you re-tap the threads you'll end up with metal shavings in the cylinder and then you'll probably have far worse than an oil consumption problem.

You should probably take the engine in to have a mechanic install a Heli-Coil in that plug hole. Hopefully they can do it without pulling the head off. It's going to be very tough not to get metal shavings in there. :( :( :(

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
My dad had a plug blow out of his 88 Trooper. (I guess someone overtorqued and stripped the threads). Instead of pulling the head and fixing it that way, they installed a heli-coil by using some heavy grease on the tap, and then blew compressed air into the hole. We never had any problems for the next 125k miles that we drove it.

Do it right and install a heli-coil (or probably better yet, have one installed). If it's really stripped, just tapping it with the same size tap won't be a long term fix.

-Tad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.