Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got REALLY good coolant leak that appears to be coming from the timing chain cover. I thought it was from around the crank shaft, but upon further inspection looks like the seal. Looks like I've got a water pump/timing chain replacement job to do this week.

My biggest concern is whether I may have done something permanent. Once I get the cover off, is there a good possibility that I will see a giant chasm into the insides of my engine?

Haven't worked on the old girl in a few years. Is Rock Auto the best place for parts online for a 91 V6?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Loose Moose
Nashville, TN

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quite a few years ago after I did my first timing chain/cover/pump etc R&R I wrote a tech article while it was fresh in my head. You're welcome to it, just P.M. me with your e-mail address and I'll forward the info to you.

BTW are you sure it isn't just the weep hole on the bottom side of the water pump, dripping down? If the pump seal is bad it's gonna go all over underneath.

If not, there are gaskets for water passages on both sides of the block, I suppose it conceivably could leak thru those.

If you're gonna get hot 'n heavy with timing cover R&R, you may as well plan on giving the ol' timing set a good inspection and maybe replace as well. If the rig has well over 100K on the clock, the timing damper will likely have cracked rubber 'shoes' and when these go the timing chain rubs directly on the metal damper until something breaks.

You can tell if your chain has a lot of wear by how far the crank pulley will turn before moving the camshaft. If there's a ton of play in there, it's definitely time for a new timing set.

G'luck with the repairs and feel free to give me a holler for that writeup...ed

p.s. I've bought plenty of parts from Rockauto, they're a good place for looking up parts and the prices aren't that bad.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.