Isuzu SUV Forum banner

91 trooper mystery noise (video)

684 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mlgsr 
#1 ·
I recently began hearing a new noise under my hood. Kinda sounds like the truck is howling. lol

explained - you-on-tv.com/trooper-noise.mp4

Noise - you-on-tv.com/trooper-noise1.mp4

Suggestions appreciated?

#2 ·
Links didn't work for me. But the word howling, in my mind might be fan noise, like the fan clutch isn't working correctly. So maybe just remove the belt and try it again to see if the noise is still there.

#3 ·
Links worked for me. Honestly it sounds like a bearing growling, not an engine bearing, but one of the accessories driven by the fan belt.
Any chance you can disconnect the fan belts and drive it a short ways to see if it goes away?
It sounds just like a loose bearing vibrating and may also be dried out. In the past, I have had troubles with all sorts of various bearings, the GM AC compressor seems to have problems, but could be any other one too..alternator, idler.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies..

Sorry about the links, but it should work if you copy and paste them into your browser.

I have installed a new a/c compressor and the idler pully in the last few months. I also removed the Air Compressor and changed the belt. I wasn't able to replace the tensioner because the center bolt is stripped. So, there is some belt squeel when I have the ac on sometimes.

I will keep trying to pinpoint it and post more when I can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.