Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a little history about the trooper. It's a 1991 LS 2.8L Auto. Bought it for $450 in the beginning of January. So far it's had it share of problems that the previous owner did not mention. Tranny is done for (this was mentioned), seems the oil rubber lines or the cooler has a crack in it. I haven't been able to work on it much, but that's where I have eliminated the possibilities to.

Here's my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I use it more, b/c I upload everything from my phone when I'm working on it. But I'll post pics here as well. But from those you can see where I'm headed. Just easier since they are all together already.

As of right now, I have a lead on a parts trooper, the same as mine from a friend of the guy I bought mine from for $150!! So half doors will be made for it, tranny, and some of items will be swapped over . Once I get it and take off what I need, I'll part it out. Not sure what else I may take out yet though.

So here's the plan so far:
3" lift kit
3" BL (hate to put this big of a bl on)
Snorkel
Bedline the floor
Armor (later on)
Paint (OD green)
Make the drop bracket
CB needs to be installed

I know the fear of 35's here, but I'm doing it anyway. ha. Just wish I could use the wider stance arms and axle from 2nd gen troopers. I don't want wheel spacers!

Thanks for reading! and I'll try to update this as much as possible!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
AlexXx said:
I know the fear of 35's here, but I'm doing it anyway. ha.
I rolled on 35's for over a year.

They fit fine with just a 3" body lift, no suspension lift at all (Well I did turn up the torsion bars almost to the max)

Rode like dirty butt hole, looked good. Toasted 1 CV joint. Drove like I was dragging a boat anchor. I had the 2.8L V6 in there with the 35's. I did swap a 4.3L TB on and it helped give it a little more pep. Seriously though, those heavy things robbed so much power I could barely climb a curb.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Keep in mind going with a narrower 35" like a 35x10.5 would help a good deal. Or you may consider dropping down an inch to 34"s. Just a couple thoughts.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
AlexXx said:
Ah I am familiar with your thread on 4x4wire. Hm, well it's not a daily driver, just trails. But that bad huh? I guess I'll just have to try it out and see what happens. If it's really bad I'll just switch my 33's from my taco on it. Thanks for the input!
33's were great, especially with the 3.4L v6.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DRaider90 said:
Keep in mind going with a narrower 35" like a 35x10.5 would help a good deal. Or you may consider dropping down an inch to 34"s. Just a couple thoughts.
Already have the tires. they're 12.5. But I understand. It's not a total problem. If I feel they are to much, I'll just swap my 285/75's to the troop and the 35's on my tacoma.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
AlexXx said:
Thanks chris! It does look mighty fine with 33's, but you know chicks dig large rubbers! :D
Laissez les bons temps rouler! :lol:

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
AlexXx said:
shooter said:
AlexXx said:
Thanks chris! It does look mighty fine with 33's, but you know chicks dig large rubbers! :D
I don't know what that means... :p But sadly a phrase that's dying out.
Dying out? Hope not. Let the good times roll. :D

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
shooter said:
AlexXx said:
shooter said:
AlexXx said:
I don't know what that means... :p But sadly a phrase that's dying out.
Dying out? Hope not. Let the good times roll. :D
Yea I was messin sayin I didn't know. But it really is, the only people who say it are tourist! haha.

Here's the parts troop Im picking up:

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Damn toursist. My aunt (deceased) was a full blown Cajun. Hair and eyes blacker than coal. Could not wait every summer to go to their house and make an absolute pig out of myself. :lol: Man, that's a nice looking parts truck.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
AlexXx said:
I don't think they dig the rubbers as much as what goes in them, and no rubbers FTW! Glad I'm snipped now :lol:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Going pick up my 3.4 friday! From what I read, the 3.4 has an internal oil cooler unlike the 2.8 the had a external. Which great news. Other plus is that I can clean the engine bay and make it look good!

Other than that, the guy never got back with me about the parts trooper. So looks like I'll be rebuilding my tranny whole the motor is pulled to.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
AlexXx said:
Going pick up my 3.4 friday! From what I read, the 3.4 has an internal oil cooler unlike the 2.8 the had a external. Which great news. Other plus is that I can clean the engine bay and make it look good!

Other than that, the guy never got back with me about the parts trooper. So looks like I'll be rebuilding my tranny whole the motor is pulled to.
where did you read that the 3.4L engines had internal oil coolers? speaking primarily on the 2.8 trooper, the external oil cooler was an option that you could get, and not very many of them had it. ( i did find one and put it on my 3.4L conversion) don.t know about the 3.4L, but mine did not have one when i bought it. and when i was searching for a 3.4L, i never did see one with an external cooler.

if you're going to do this swap, then you had better make sure you research everything there is to do the swap before you start. don't let this discourage you though, you should do the swap.

cheers, john

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Plus an internal oil cooler wouldn't really cool the oil much and honestly, I have never heard of such a thing. How would you cool it? Run passages through coolant passages? I doubt that.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Maybe like some older diesels. Some have coolant coils (like a still) just internal to the side of the motor (accessed by a long cover plate) (guaranteed to break sooner or later). Doubt the gas burner has one unless they mean internally to the radiator like an auto tranny.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts