Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I bought this used I also bought a chiltons and a Haynes book for it. Now I need help.
The way I read my books the #1 spot on the distributor should be up close to the engine correct? I put new plug wires on the way the book shows and it would not fire. I then put them back the way it came and I still have a problem. The problem is 18-20k idle speed. Yes I have backed off the gas linkage. When going and shifting intop 2 or 3rd it will buck and kick RPM's 25 to 3K.
I have changes plugs, wires, MAP, distributor cap, PCV valve, pluged and/or new vacume hoses.
My # 1 wire goes to the one nearest the firewall it is like someone has put the distributor in 180 degrees out. Would my V6 even run if this has happened. It has run rough for the 3 weeks I have had it :eek: and now it is time to fix it. :D
Any suggestions? do you need pictures or more info just let me know and I will answer or do what I can.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
if you want to be certain that your distributor is in the right firing position, here is what I would do.
remove the valve cover from the passenger's side of the trooper. look in your Haynes or Chiltons on how to adjust the valves and also on how to replace the distributor. (use a combination of these two chapters). set the #1 cylinder to have it's valves adjusted. your mark on the pulley to set timing should be visible. look on the sticker on the underside of your hood for proper timing. set the pulley mark to the timing notch that you need. (be mindful of this step because you can still have your timing mark visible, but the valve train can be 180 degrees off). now you can see if your distributor is in the right position. it should be pointing towards the #1 cylinder (that general area). then, take it from there. if you need to remove the distributor, good luck, that hold down bolt is a B. but, if you want your trooper to run right, you need to do the proper maintenance.

good luck, john

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
No sure what you mean by "valvetrain 180* off" Unless your meaning compression vs exhaust stroke.

The easy way to do it is remove the then number one spark plug (passenger side front) and put your finger over the hole. Have a helper rotate the engine by hand and wait until you feel a puff of air push past your finger. This is the compression stroke. Now watch the balancer and bring the timing mark up to 0* on the balancer. Now that your done that turn your attention to the distributor.

Here is how it should be installed. Truly it does not matter how the distributor is actually oriented but lets just make it the same ad factory so everyone is on the same page.

Now keep in mind that the rotor under the cap needs to be pointing at the number one post when being installed. It is easiest to mark the distributor body and install it with no cap. Now is a good time to replace that o-ring! Once dropped in and oriented right then install the plug wires. Now fire up the truck and adjust the timing. Do not forget to un plug the timing wire under the console. Adjust to 10*-12* BTDC

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
betterthanyou said:
No sure what you mean by "valvetrain 180* off" Unless your meaning compression vs exhaust stroke.

The easy way to do it is remove the then number one spark plug (passenger side front) and put your finger over the hole. Have a helper rotate the engine by hand and wait until you feel a puff of air push past your finger. This is the compression stroke. Now watch the balancer and bring the timing mark up to 0* on the balancer. Now that your done that turn your attention to the distributor.

Here is how it should be installed. Truly it does not matter how the distributor is actually oriented but lets just make it the same ad factory so everyone is on the same page.

Now keep in mind that the rotor under the cap needs to be pointing at the number one post when being installed. It is easiest to mark the distributor body and install it with no cap. Now is a good time to replace that o-ring! Once dropped in and oriented right then install the plug wires. Now fire up the truck and adjust the timing. Do not forget to un plug the timing wire under the console. Adjust to 10*-12* BTDC
boy! this sounds alot simpler to do than what i recommended. i'd go with what betterthanyou says to figure out your problem.
good luck again, john

1 - 5 of 5 Posts