Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While trying to remove the water pump this afternoon, I have stripped one T-50 and one T-30. I have snapped 2 T-30 sockets while trying to remove two of the other T-30 bolts. The T-50 bolt now has a broken off easy-out in it as well.

Before I do this, I want to ask...Are the bolts soft enough to take a cut-off wheel to them? One of the T-30 bolts is right above the harmonic balancer, but I'm confident I can get to it with my tiny air grinder. Since there is only a $5.00 core charge on the water pump I don't really care what I do to that.

All help is appreciated.

Loose Moose
Nashville, TN

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
i have had good luck by drilling out bolts , get a few carbide drill bits , get the smallest about 1/4 the size of the bolt , the other about 1/2 the size of the bolt , one about 3/4 size of the bolt , drill very straight ( good luck ) starting with the smallest bit , get a can of grease , every now and then put the end of drill bit in the grease to keep it cool as you drill . you should be able to get the bolts out after you also spray some penatrating fluid on the bolts , sometimes after the holes are drilled out i tap a screw driver into the hole and turn the broken bolt using using a cresent wrench close to the end . while drilling don't forget the hole threads . they will be out farther than you think.

i will add use a center tap to set the center of the broken bolt so you will have a better chance of hitting center.

take your time , its going to be tough , good luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Put penatrating oil on them yesterday and this morning before starting to work on them this aftenoon. I can get a screwdriver in the T-30 bolts, but they don't budge. Tried a drill and it started smoking! I'm still leaning towards cutting them off. If the other bolts are any indication, these are extremely caked with rust and corrosion as well.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
you have to use carbide bits , dip the end in grease , only carbide will work , start with a small one , sometimes when enough of the broken bolt is showing small vice grips work.

i may be confused about where they are broken off , i was thinking they were broke off at the block , if broke off at the water pump i would get a dremmal and a cutter disc and cut around the broken bolts , remove wp and spray pent oil on the bolts , let them set for a couple hours and use vice grips .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.