Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to look at the possibilities of swaping in a larger engine. Probably going with a 3.4 since I hear its an easy bolt in. Will have have to do anything with the electrical? anyone know where I can find some pictures of a swap like this? What else would I need for the swap?

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
I'm not a GM V6 person, but I'm told that you can use all of the electricals off of the 2.8. The only work to be done is the starter. You'll have to drill/tap the bosses on the other side of the engine. They are cast into the block, they just aren't ready to accept the starter bolts.

Sam had some tips too:

http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/86

-Tad

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Tad said:
I'm not a GM V6 person, but I'm told that you can use all of the electricals off of the 2.8. The only work to be done is the starter. You'll have to drill/tap the bosses on the other side of the engine. They are cast into the block, they just aren't ready to accept the starter bolts.

Sam had some tips too:

http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/86

-Tad
Great tips on the idle issue - was that with a 4.3 tbi?

The best thing to do perhaps is to treat the 3.4 as a short block except for the heads - meaning all the stuff on the 3.4 comes off including oil pan, and then swap all accessories/components over to the 3.4

Decisions, decisions, decisions............

Upgrade to 4.3 TBI unit with matched/bored 2.8 intake?

Upgrade cam?

Any others?

I would fully recommend starting a notebook with copies of all relevant posts here, and over at the 'Wire since the wealth of info over there is much larger (been up longer).

Ed Mc also has some info that he sends out to people starting this swap.

Cheers,

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
You can build up a 3.1 to be a pretty strong runner. The increase of torque due to the longer stroke is the biggest benefit.

Of course, you could also put a 3.1 crank and pistons into your 2.8 block and accomplish the same thing. Use pistons out of a Rodeo/P'up 3.1, or a Camaro 3.1.

The bores are essentially the same, and the heads on all TBI RWD 2.8's, 3.1's, and 3.4's are the same '884' casting. Rods are the same across all three motor displacements, too.

ARI sells a kit specifically for this purpose, with crank, rods, pistons, bearings. Not too bad of a deal, either. But you could probably scrounge and find a good 3.1 crank and the correct pistons, at a junkyard or on eBay.

You can also get a rebuilt Rodeo 3.1 motor with 7 year, 70,000 mile warranty from these folks for $1243 + $150 Core + Ship:

http://www.rebuilt-motors.com/cgi-bin/w ... 3169268.b9

I know a fellow who put one of these in his Trooper. He was concerned with reliability because he was planning on taking a trip into Mex. He wrote me back saying the rig ran like a champ, even with all the poor quality fuel, and never missed a beat. He was pleased with the power too. If you do the same hop-up tricks you can do to any of these, you should be able to wring around 150 HP out of a 3.1. More torque and 25 more HP will make a very noticable difference in the way your rig drives.

Of course, nothing like the 3.4 for brute torque and HP. You can make a template for the starter holes, it's not so bad if you're careful about it. I did mine freehand with a portable drill motor, and have had no problems. It can be done!

Re: the tuning issues, either use the 2.8 TBI with 4.3 injectors installed, or bore out the intake and use a GM 4.3 TBI or Holley Big-Bore.

The 4.3 injectors installed in the 2.8 TBI do solve the 3.4's lean-surge-when-cold problem, of course you'll get more power out of the 4.3 or Holley TBI's.

If anyone would like the collection of swap info I've accumulated over the years, just send me a P.M. with your e-mail address and I'll send you the stuff.

Cheers.............ed

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Other have pretty well cover this. But a 3.4 swap is a long block swap with a drill and tap job thrown in. Don't sweat the D&T.

I highly recommend Competion Cams 1.6 roller rockers used with the stock cam. Very nice torque / power, never on or off cam :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.