Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone !

I'm new to this site and have some questions about our 91 Isuzu Trooper. Replaced the fuel pump last summer and my son has drove off to school with it and now has intermittent fuel issues. He drove 300 miles and she died right in the middle of the freeway, got it off to a rest area and after a couple hours was able to restart it and get to school. Has run for one day and then won't start the next.

Towed it to a ASE cert mechanic last week and the guy checked it out and said nothing wrong it runs perfect. Well next two days he gets stuck again in middle of traffic so we towed it back to him "mechanic". Now the guy wants 700.00 to replace the fuel pump? Says he bangs on the gas tank and he can get pump to work? Paid him 80 bucks for diagnosis and now am headed east to go deal with this issue.

Does "banging" on the fuel tank diagnosis really a good way to check for a bad fuel pump. My son did drive it the past year without much fuel in it and we live in a pretty hot climate? I can replace pump for 85 bucks and do it myself so that is not a problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks !

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
If banging on the tank makes the pump work, it may be as simple as loose connections on the top of the tank.

Start there.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
hackdaddy said:
thanks Selador, i was going to do that first, but i assume i'll have to drop the tank again right ?
Yes.

If you do searches, you'll find information about troubles people have had with the wiring and connections for the fuel pumps. (and their fixes.)

Plus, you can find posts on how people have cut access hatches in the floors of their isuzus, to access the fuel pump. A lot nicer than having to drop that tank all the time.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
More times than not, the large connection at the front, passenger side of the tank can corrode. The hot wire will corrode to the point of working a little or not at all. The connection of the same wire can go bad though not be visible. No need to drop the tank if it's there. Believe the hot wire is red.

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
My experience with 2.6 fuel pumps is that the aftermarket stuff currently available is junk. If you got a year out of it that's about par for the course. Running them with little fuel in the tank also is not a good idea since the fuel is wha cools the pump. Fuel pump can be replaced by removing skid plate, then unbolting the 3 driver's side bolts, pull the driver's side of the tank down and then if you're skinny or have a skinny kid you can weasel up in there and remove the fuel lines and unbolt the fuel pump hanger. This saves quite a bit of time since you don't have to disconnect the filler hose, return hose, vent hoses, right side bolts, etc. Have done it this way many times then just got tired of it and cut hole in floor.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I put a fuel pump in the '91 I own, in 30 minutes while parked on the side of the road, 200 miles from home, with a screwdriver, a pair of pliers, and some vice-grips. It's not a hard job, and doesn't take long to do.

The pump itself, as I recall, was about $100. If the guy wants seven hundred bucks to put in a fuel pump, you should probably burn down his garage, and beat him to death with a baseball bat.

Seriously, though...who is this jerk that wants that kind of money for that job? You should post his name and number so people steer clear of him.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Many times the issue is with the alternator. The Trooper has a safety feature that turns off the fuel pump if the motor stops running. This is related to a secondary circuit in the alternator. Next time it happens, try by-passing the relay by following these instructions. Once the relay is bypassed, the pump will remain on even if the key is off. viewtopic.php?t=13176 Most of us carry a jumper wire in the glove box just in case. Squatch has one with a switch so it can be turned on and off. Mine is a simple wire like the one depicted in the photo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts