Isuzu SUV Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
I think I used the threaded hole back of the block. One of the bolts that held the engine to the stand fit perfect. When I pulled it I used head bolts but that would require pulling the head and defeat the whole purpose! Did make it much easier to pull though as bell housing bolts were much easier to get to.

Now that I think about it that is by far the easiest way IMO. Disconnect the exhaust and the EGR tube from the exhaust. Remove the head and intake as one assembly. From that point pulling the engine is a piece of cake.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Making some progress this weekend. Taking a "path of least resistance " approach. Pulled the head intake and exhaust as one piece today. Figure since I'm rebuilding it all it's all gotta come out and the more things I get out of the way the easier it will be. It will be wayyy easier to wrestle the Itec and EGR with it out of the engine compartment.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So the engine is out! Nothing broken... pulled the head, intake and exhaust first which gave GREAT access to those upper bell house bolts. Getting the Itec separated from intake is a bit of a pain even outside of engine compartment. Finally getting the engine to fly was 30 minutes of messing around with the leveler on cherry picker and a lot of up down wiggle to get the oil pan to roll over front differential. All in all wasn't too brutal.

Now comes my decision of proceed with doing it myself or tow it and be done... feeling like I need to try to reassemble and then push comes to shove pawn it off to a shop for final dial in. The fact that I made it this far without any real issues makes me want to forge on.

How much harder is reassembly?

Attachments

·
Registered
681 Posts
Not hard at all if you labelled all your stuff and take your time. I'm telling you from experience putting the engine back in with the head on was a bear compared to head off as you've seen from the bolt access.

Would be hard to pull the head from a reman though. I put mine in assembled by myself (first rebuild, engine pull/set etc.) The hardest part was the bolts behind the head. My forearms looked like hamburger.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks. I definitely feel like it would be easier to reassemble but by bit, meaning put the block in first then put the Itec and head on together then exhaust last and all the rest

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well....know your limits is my current philosophy. I got the engine pulled without any real problems but have opted to tow it to Reno, NV and give Shawn the work. Met him this weekend and will report back in a couple months how he did. Gave him my build specs, he will tear apart the motor and have his local shop do the machine work then will put it all back together and I will have it turn key ready to drive home. I will still get to have lots of fun fixing 30 years worth of odds and ends and doing the interior etc. Thanks to those who gave me tips and advice along the way. Full time real job just wasnt going to afford me the time to feel comfortable putting it all back in and having it actually run.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Understand knowing your limits but you really do not know what those are until you attempt something. That said there a jobs that are such a pig I wish I'd paid someone to do it.

BTW I have a full time job too. :wink:

21 - 27 of 27 Posts