Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Nice! From your college timeframe I think we are ~ the same age. Not trying to take $ away from Shawn but you can rebuild it yourself if you have a reasonable machine shop in the area. I am not as flexible as I once was either but managed all the work alone. I had done a fair amount of peripheral auto work; brakes, water pumps etc. but had never dug into the guts of a motor. With the help of people here I rebuilt mine. I have a thread called 2.6 rebuild if you are interested.

Alan

·
Registered
681 Posts
mudoilngears said:
Docloucks said:
Baby steps... I'm going to leave the internal rebuild to the pros this time and see if I can try and not screw up the rest, lol. Lots of knowledge out there to help me through it hopefully. Now I get to do my day job all week and prep for next weekend
I'd make sure the pros are pros before sending it to the pros. If you take my meaning...
Agree. You do it yourself then you know its done right.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Take lots of pictures and label like you are doing and you will find it surprisingly easy. If you lose a label and forget you can find it here in photos or just ask and someone will know.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I think I used the threaded hole back of the block. One of the bolts that held the engine to the stand fit perfect. When I pulled it I used head bolts but that would require pulling the head and defeat the whole purpose! Did make it much easier to pull though as bell housing bolts were much easier to get to.

Now that I think about it that is by far the easiest way IMO. Disconnect the exhaust and the EGR tube from the exhaust. Remove the head and intake as one assembly. From that point pulling the engine is a piece of cake.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Not hard at all if you labelled all your stuff and take your time. I'm telling you from experience putting the engine back in with the head on was a bear compared to head off as you've seen from the bolt access.

Would be hard to pull the head from a reman though. I put mine in assembled by myself (first rebuild, engine pull/set etc.) The hardest part was the bolts behind the head. My forearms looked like hamburger.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Understand knowing your limits but you really do not know what those are until you attempt something. That said there a jobs that are such a pig I wish I'd paid someone to do it.

BTW I have a full time job too. :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts