Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nice rig! Welcome!

I recently put a 4ze1 crate motor in my '89.

If you are going for a full rebuild anyway, I think it is easier to pull the head and itec combo as a complete unit. That way you don't have to try to get to the intake bolts underneath the plenum on the itec. You can just take the whole head off and the itec comes with it. It makes pulling the block easy after the head/itec is off. I have pics of pulling the old motor on my Project Thunderbolt thread.

You can do it!

If you have access to a lift, I found I was able to stand under the transmission and reach up on either side like I was giving it a hug and was able to reach those bolts pretty well. Otherwise, the trick of removing the motor mounts and dropping the engine and transmission tilts down a couple inches gives you more space. (it rests on the crossmember) J5 has a vid on youtube on it.

Kind regards,

-BoiseTrooper

·
Registered
166 Posts
Docloucks said:
My first question, and it's a dumb one.... Where on the driver's side of the engine does the hoist attach? Nice big factory Plate on passenger front but nada on driver's rear. Assuming I pull the manifold or a rear manifold bolt and attach there? Anyone? Thanks
Hey Doc,

Towards the rear of the driver's side (midway down the block) there is an unused threaded boss. Some use that but you will have to scrounge up a big fine-thread bolt. Access isn't great.

Most, myself included, use the furthest rear exhaust manifold bolt. It worked fine.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Docloucks said:
Thanks. I saw that threaded spot you're talking about and was trying to figure if I had pulled something from there lol and thought I was losing my mind already. I wasn't planning to pull the exhaust until the motor is out so as to give myself lots of room with the egr.
Appreciate the tips!
I hear ya. I gave that threaded pipe connector a shot of penetrating oil every time I walked by it for quite a while. Also make sure to use the big fatty end wrench like the ones for brake lines. They got a better purchase on it than my open end. Even a bit of heat might be needed if it is particularly stuck.

I left the pipe connected to the iTec on the other side and it came out with it when I took the motor out.

I pulled the exhaust manifold and downpipe as one piece. That flange at the downpipe is notorious for not being a great seal. I just unbolted at the second flange under the floor boards.

With the exhaust manifold and downpipe out, there is a lot of room to work.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts