Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my 02 Rodeo Sport last week. I bought a 91 Rodeo from my father-in -law. He bought it new and he kept all his receipts and service records. That's why I felt comfortable in buying it. I had to put tires on it because he has let it sit for the past year and the tires were cracked like crazy. I went with the General Grabbers AT2 31x10.50x15. Standing back and looking at it I'm thinking its time to lift it.
NOW THIS IS WHERE I NEED INPUT.
Would a 3" suspension lift look alright with 31"? Remember, I just put these rascals on TODAY. If not a 3" then maybe the 1.5"?
Could someone send pics or point me in the directions of lifted with 31's?

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
That 91 rodeo is very well suited to that tire size, I would never install bigger tires (even in the future) personally unless it's going to be just an occasional driver.

For a dd 31's are perfect for that engine....I have one too.

I however have never done a lift on the 91 rodeo we have....we live in high altitude areas and the 140hp v6 engine has always had a tendency to struggle climbing mountains, so I've never put a lift on it as it would only struggle in the wind more.

I also have a 97 rodeo running 32" tires with a 2" lift, it doesn't have power issues though as it has the 190hp V6 engine.

After putting a lift on this truck though, and it is an occasional driver, I wouldn't go more then 2" personally....they tend to fight the wind more, you lose mpg, etc but I also don't do any hardcore offroading either.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ramblin. I won't be doing a lot of off roading. I'm mainly doing it for looks. I'm just wondering if a 3" lift would look alright with 31's.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Personally....first hand, don't do the lift just for looks, least not on a daily driver. If it's your weekend truck, have fun, lift away.....putting a lift on a 20yr old truck, be expected to replace a lot of suspension parts.

Even if the mileage is low on that truck, the frame is still 20yrs old.

If you're going to do a lift, unless they've been replaced in the last 5-6yrs, you're gonna need to think about new upper/lower ball joints, repacking/replacing wheel bearings, tightening up the steering gear box.

I put a lift on my 97 rodeo when it was around 160k miles and 9yrs old, with no previous major offroading in it's lifetime (I am the original owner of the truck) - within a year of doing the lift, I had to replace all 4 balljoints, 2yrs after that, I had to replace the steering gear box itself, to the tune of $1200

Balljoints truly are to be expected replacement parts, so that was no biggy....but I never expected to have to replace the steering box on a casual driven truck, I've never been rough on this truck.

If I had to do it over again, I would've never done the lift.....I love the looks of it, but it does fight the wind more, and that I don't like.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts