Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I got a 90 Trooper 2.6 5spd 4x4. I have a bearing going out in the T-case that I could hear for a few weeks now but It wasn't real bad & I hadn't gotten around to fixing it. I went wheelin Sat. Now any time I give it more than 1/4 throttle the clutch starts slipping. The clutch has less than 10K mi on it. So what do yall say is going on? Would I be better off having a new clutch put in & the trans & T-case rebuilt or should I hunt for a replacement trans & T-case?

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Just a guess here but I'm guessing two separate issues. Possible rear main leaking or front tranny seal leaking and contaminating the clutch? Common opinion is if it's much more then an input bearing or something on the transmission it is far more economical to find a good used replacement.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about the rear main thing but it's dry & I replaced it like less than 6 months ago. Got a couple mechanic buddies I'm gonna let check it out I think. I've always done my own work but I have been having back trouble lately.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The more I think about it I think it is probably leaking trans fluid from the front seal making the clutch slip. I think I'll see what it's gonna cost me to replace bearings & seals in the trans & T-case. Probably need a new clutch disc now too I guess. How much would you say is too much to spend on it or at about what price should I explore replacing the trans & T-case with good used ones?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thankfully - pulling the tranny on the five speed is relatively easy. You will need a tranny lift, some patience and a good supply of replacement bolts for the shaft joints (if they haven't been separated in a while) - but T-Case and Tranny should come out the bottom as one and in an afternoon.

Putting seals in the tranny and t-case may to be more involved as I believe you might have to crack the cases to set them. Depending, this can be a real bear as case bolts will likely be seized and there is usually a cluster of springs and ball bearings in the selector that want to grenade everywhere when you open it up.

If you can set seals without cracking the case - carry on. If not - check the local scrappers for a used tranny/t-case just in case there is one around. They run pretty cheap as most of the series 1 troopers rusted out long ago with many thousand miles left on the drive trains.

Jon

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I have been having back troubles lately & the boss ummm I mean wife said I was not allowed!! LOL She goes to a good friends shop tomorrow where she can't se "him" working on it & we will se what we have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts