Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trooper vent windows are "floppy". Has anyone replaced these or know how to tighten them up? Also what about replacing the vent rubber. Where to buy it?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
It's been written up a number of times if you care to search, the short answer is take off the door panel and look up where the lower post of the window goes in to the door. That lower post is a threaded post and it will have a spring, washer, and nut on it. You can tighten the nut that in turn applies more spring pressure to keep the vent window in position.
Others have taken out the rivet on the hinge of the vent window and replaced it with a bolt and nyloc nut, tightening it to apply tension.

·
Registered
523 Posts
DO NOT......REPEAT DO NOT just attempt to tighten the nut on the bottom of the threaded shaft! There are actually TWO nuts tightened together on there, you have to loosen the BOTTOM nut first, or you risk SNAPPING the threaded shaft!!!! Ask me how I know!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Airhead rider said:
It's been written up a number of times if you care to search, the short answer is take off the door panel and look up where the lower post of the window goes in to the door. That lower post is a threaded post and it will have a spring, washer, and nut on it. You can tighten the nut that in turn applies more spring pressure to keep the vent window in position.
Others have taken out the rivet on the hinge of the vent window and replaced it with a bolt and nyloc nut, tightening it to apply tension.
You know I did exactly this with my drivers side window, but I just could not get it to work right. Either it was too loose, or whenever I got it tight, it would pull the rubber molding out of place at the bottom... There was no in between. I ended up scaring up the rubber pretty badly. i finally just gave up on it, got it tight and left it shut. If I ever try to open that window and re-shut it again, it will pull the rubber out of place.

I changed out the passenger side window with no problems, I don't get it.

BTW, here's a link to the discussion on this
http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6666&hilit=trooper+vent+window

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Actually on mine the track is worn out, tightening the nut did nothing. The stud that goes down through the track (with the nut on it) has a larger body that sits atop the hole, and the threaded portion goes down through the hole, with the washer / spring / nut coming up from the bottom inside the door. Took me a while to realize this larger body that sits on top of the hole and should sandwich the frame between it and the spring / washer had instead worn out the hole big enough to drop through. Consequently, tightening the nut on the stud did nothing as it no longer sandwiched the frame. I kind of cobbled it back together with a modified washer in the track (to now sandwich it again) but I either need to replace the track or weld up the hole and redrill it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts