Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rebuilding a '89 Trooper. It started with the GM 2.8 V6 and I am putting in a 3.1 with everything completely new or rebuilt. I may take another 6 months for this project as money is limited. Later I will post a writeup of all my trials and tribulations for this project so no one else has to suffer like I have. I have attempted to search for answers but have been unsuccessful.

I found Jet Performance Products sells their 6 Pak Chip | Manual Transmission, Part #: 289056P, for the 1989 Chevy S-10 2.8. I like the concept of tuning on the fly and hope to use one on my Trooper. Has anybody used this with the Trooper 2.8? Are the ECUs for the Trooper and the S-10 similar? I have a S-10 electrical wiring diagram/manual coming and I already have the Trooper manuals so I will be making a comparison in the wiring later. I will also compare the connection plug with another trip to Pick-n-Pull. If the pin-out is the same then I may try an ECU from an S-10.

Another question: Any differences in the '89 Trooper 2.8 ECUs for an engine with a smog pump and one without? The smog pump on my engine merely dumped into the exhaust manifold on the passenger side and not through a rail system into the exhaust ports. I have both ECUs to try later.

Any information and constructive comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I have a 91 Trooper/Auto that I put a built up 3.1 in a year ago. I have had a lot of problems but am slowly getting it all worked out. I don't know if the S-10 computer is the same or not. I have been through several computers from stock to an "upgrade" that was one from a 3.1 Rodeo, mine actually came from a Chevy Lumina van with the 3.1 engine. The computer numbers were the same. And it worked fine. I recently went back to the stock as I thought that might be my problem. I also had a chip I purchased from another member here and installed that. It was just a plug and play type chip made by Jet. They ask what had been modded and made the chip to match. For the money I would just go with the computer for a Rodeo or the same number. I got mine for 35 bucks. As far as programable, I cannot anwer that, mine does not have that ability. As far as the smog goes it does not do anything with the computer, if you can do away with it and meet smog requirements, you should remove it. It would require a different belt tentioner but its worth it. You will also want to go with a heated O2 sensor, you just need to wire it to a fuse for the third wire. Makes the computer go into the proper loop sooner. Another member betterthanyou has a web site on his 3.1 Trooper and I modeled mine after his. He has a ton of information there and you can send him questions and he usually has the answer.
And as it turned out the main problem I had on mine for the last year has been a pesky intake manifold leak. It has been a week since I found it and tightened the bolts up and it has been running pretty good. A little bit more fine tuning and I think it will be where I hoped for. Now I am thinking about converting it to a manual trans. It Never Ends!!
Here is the website I mentioned, just click on the picture of the Trooper in the right hand corner. Good Luck!

http://members.shaw.ca/betterthanyou/index.htm

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
If your putting in a 3.1L then use the ECM from a Rodeo or and old Lumina APV with the 3.1L. The Jet chip will not net you any horsepower I would put my money elsewhere. For that kind of money you can get a set of COMP 1.6:1 roller rockers or a better ignition system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for some important information. You affirmed my thoughts that the ECU pinouts are the same for GM vehicles and Isuzu. I could not find any evaluations on the effectiveness of the Jet chips other than anecdotal stories. As a electronics technician I found that if I cannot measure it then I cannot troubleshoot it, I can only guess.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you look up tuner cat you can buy a prom burner and buy the correct mask if it is the same ecm as the GM S-10 and burn your own custom chips. I'm sure anyone swapping in a 3.4 would have a lot to gain by doing this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts