Isuzu SUV Forum banner

89 Pickup 4WD Beater Project

20K views 77 replies 10 participants last post by  szac 
#1 · (Edited)
This forum has been an incredible resource. So with this beater now in my garage for past month and a half I figure it's time to start posting progress updates. I bought the truck as a project and have a steep learning curve ahead. I've already started a "4ZE1 tune up priorities" help request thread so I'll just pick up where I've off there.

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Wheel Vehicle

Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Car

What is it?

• 1989 Pickup 4WD 5sp[/*]
  • ----Build plate----[/*]
  • M.D. TFS7SC AH/IJ[/*]
  • ENGINE RLJ -4ZE1 ENG[/*]
  • GRADE RBA -INTERIOR BASIC [KB][/*]
  • TIRE 9JG -FRT&RR 31X10.5R15 15X7JJ[/*]
  • BODY TYPE ER8 -ISUZU BRAND PACKAGE[/*]
  • B.COLOR 834 -BODY COLOR RED MAHOGANY[/*]
  • B.TRIM 150 -INTERIOR COLOR GRAY[/*]
  • ---- Options -----[/*]
  • C41 -HEATER & DEFROSTER[/*]
  • ED2 -MANUAL LOCKING HUB[/*]
  • S1P -TAIL GATE CENTER PULL TYPE PLAIN[/*]
  • S4K -DOOR MIRROR DRIVER & PASSENGER PLAIN[/*]
  • S7R -RR BODY DOUBLE WALL CARGO 0.5 TON[/*]
  • S9W -BENCH SEAT W/HEAD REST VINYL[/*]
  • YM4 -LAMINATED TINTED GLASS [/*]

Goal

• Reliable and capable trail rig for bouncing around AZ backcountry [/*]
  • Interior spruced up to point where wife will enter cab[/*]

I started out by trying to identify the source of the known fuel leak that the PO said, "happens after the truck sits a couple of days." It didn't leak when I test drove but dumped quite the puddle after it sat in my garage for 2.5 weeks. With help here the plan was to replace all fuel hoses and injector seals. More digging around and Shaggy's thread pointed me to Jim's Injector repair service. I'm glad I did! Jim let me know last night that one injector was bad. I'm replacing it and another reman injector (I believe/hope the source of the leak) with OEM remans from Car-ID.

I got the injectors on their way to Jim on 12/16. Jim will be sending them back to me today or tomorrow. I'm waiting to dig into anything else in the engine until I can start the truck again without a fuel leak. So the past couple weeks I've been focusing on the interior, collecting parts, learning about wiring, gauges, etc. Here's where I'm today on 1/1/21.

Gesture Automotive tire Vehicle Auto part Gas

Motor vehicle White Hood Light Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

See less See more
#77 ·
Finally got the truck back on the road! Last November it started burning oil into huge clouds that filled up the neighborhood. Got the head rebuilt but the problem persisted. Got the motor rebuilt by CBA in Chandler, AZ a couple of months ago and finally got it all back together and installed last week.

block is in the bin on right
Hood Car Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle

And here's from yesterday
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Sky

I'll try to post some before and after pics too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.