Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm slowly coming to the sad realization that I may be better off selling my Trooper. I had been hoping to fix it and get it back on the road, but not having transportation is severely limiting my job choices to the point where it'll take me forever to save up any money.

Here's the story, I bought the Trooper last October to use as a daily driver and family 4wheeler. It sat for a few years in the previous owners driveway after a wheel bearing exploded. He had and loved the Trooper for many years and had done a bit of work to it namely a new head shortly before it was parked. I took it home and started bringing it back to life. A new fuel pump, clutch master, some fresh fluids, and some TLC and elbow grease had the old girl up and running and passing the strict Maricopa county emissions. I drove the truck everyday including two trips to California and back with no problems. Life as it often does got progressively worse and I lost my home in Arizona, I decided to move to Texas to start fresh. The day before I was to leave the Trooper popped a head gasket. No oil in water or water in the oil, but it's blowing steam out the exhaust. So now the Trooper is in my dad's backyard in Mesa AZ and I'm in Santa Fe TX with no car making minimum wage until I can get money to retrieve my truck which at minimum wage will likely be never.

Heres the details:
'89 4 door trooper 4cyl 5 speed

The body has been somewhat reshaped by the Arizona desert, plenty of dents and scrapes but it's by no means tinfoiled and all the doors open and close, all the glass is intact. Almost all of the damage is in the rockers and rear overhang In fact from 20 feet away it looks like a regular faded silver Trooper.

The interior is in I'd say average shape for the age and use it's seen. The dash is nice, the carpet is present, and seats are comfortable. The headliner has a small tear over the front seats, the passenger seat is out of the junkyard and doesn't match. All the door panels are fine except the rear doors. I built a storage box in the back cargo area you can store things in and it comes up to the top of the wheelwells for a nice flat spot for the dogs to ride.

Mechanically other then the headgasket it's fine. Tranny and tcase shift fine with no noises, clutch is a dual friction centerforce and grabs great. The engine used some oil but ran well enough I never worried about it. Never overheated the only time I had to pop the hood other then for fluids was when one of the starter studs started working loose

Suspension wise the truck has rear shackles, RS9000s and over cranked Tbars. I think the tbars are cranked too much but the tires were wearing even so I never got around to lowering the front.

So at this point if you're still reading this you're probably saying "so what you have a 20 year old Isuzu with a bum headgasket" Well it has some nice parts on it:

ARB bullbar, I haven't seen a lot of these and according to the previous owner he got it in a one time purchase from ARB through an Isuzu forum

Warn M8000 winch, still need to get a mount made for the solenoid box which i relocated under the hood, I was working on that when I moved.

Lowrance Baja 480c GPS, lovingly installed on the dash with the antanea on the roof. Very nice GPS

Brand spanking new 32x11.50 BFG ATs. I just put them on to make the drive to Texas, I don't think I even took them wheeling yet.

Aisin hubs, not a big deal but nice

Brand new parts still in boxes, both front half shafts, new starter (from before I figured out the loose stud thing, the starter that's in it is fine) New centerlink, new powersteering hose, rear rotors and pads, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting.

I hope someone would be interested in fixing the headgasket and having a nice family wheeler, if not I'll part it out if I can get most of the parts spoken for. I'm 1200 miles away but my dad is a very friendly yet busy man who I'm sure could make time to show it to any interested parties. With the economy as bad as it is I have no clue where to put a price, obviously most of the value is in the bumper, winch, GPS, and tires in order to part with the truck I would need to get enough money to buy another car otherwise it can sit until I can fix it. A trade is also a possibility don't be shy. I'm not finding any pictures on this computer at the moment but I'll ask my dad to take some if there are any interested parties.

If interested contact me direct via email Travis51 at aol dot com or call Travis at (four zero nine) three one six- nine six nine nine

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Hey Travis,

If you part it out, I'm interested in the ARB front bumper. PM sent. thx.

Leland

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I'd be interested in the tires but it just wouldn't make sense to ship them here.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the pix.

Purely for historic/archival purposes...
I’d be curious to know who the previous owner was. --- Based on your description, it sounds like it could be someone that a few of the older members here might know - perhaps personally - possibly even with a few photos of their own.

Either way, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for posting an ad here at Planet Isuzoo, thereby giving us a shot at keeping it in the family :thumbup:

Cheers!
Smiley

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a few pics my folks snapped for me. I'm not sure how much info I should post about the previous owner but I don't think it's rude to tell you all his first name was Ian and he brought the truck from the PNW when he moved to AZ

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Welcome to the planet and puuuurrrrdy truck!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
so what's the price?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.