Isuzu SUV Forum banner
221 - 232 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
So the continuing saga, got the truck back a week ago, it looks great! It is not perfect but I am pleased. The replacement hood I got was not in the best shape but he did what he could, and when he started sanding the bed he found more issues there. But he did what he could with the money I allowed. I absolutely love the color. I still have the door panels off. I want to try some sound deading material before I button that up and the little plastic clips broke when he took the handles off. Jerry helped me out there and I replaced another cracked vacuum hose. I still have the hard starting issue but when it starts it runs great. The more I drive it the more I like the cam. Hopefully I can load a couple of pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
The story continues on, got the hard starting fixed, it was a blown fuse. I just did not think about the panel inside the cab. While discussing the issue with my techie son in law, he asked me 2 times if there was another fuse inside the truck. I said no. While looking for a wiring schematic I noticed a picture of the panel in the book. Facepalm! :violent1: Well I am glad it's fixed anyway. Then during a snowstorm the wipers stop working. This has happened in the past. I knew the linkage had come apart, So that is now put back together also.
I finally also got some more sound deadner in the doors and got those buttoned up too.
I think I am done working on it for the winter, hopefully just drive it now. Come spring I plan on shinning up the wheels again and maybe find some 31's for it. Should have those on it also.
It sure is running good right now!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
Well here it is almost May, and the weather dude is saying we could have an inch of snow in the morning, this winter has been a bugger, but all the lakes are full and the mountains still have a bunch of snow. That is all good.
So this morning I go out to head for work at about 5:30 AM and the Spacer won't even click, lights are on but no function from the starter. So this evening I start tinkering, checking battery post, yuk, charge the battery, still nothing. So I pull the starter and dig around a bit and find another one out in the shed. Put it in and she fires right up. Sometimes it is good to grab every part I come across. I bet this starter has been sitting in the shed for over 10 years. This is the first time I ever had one go out on me.
Back on the road tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Looks to be in great shape...NO RUST ? added bonus......the few pups I've seen, were rust buckets...especially in the bed....

anyhow, good luck in bringing your pride and joy up to speed...

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
NO rust, it did have some on parts of the body, but I replaced those and had it painted. While the body guy was doing his thing he was watching for additional rust, never found any. I did replace the entire bed and the right fender. That was it. The frame is good. It was an Boise Idaho truck.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
Here it is mid-October, Spacer is still running just fine. Not to long ago I pulled the bed off again. I had a leak on the fuel tank for some time now and had the parts from Jerry. So while I had the bed off I rattle canned the frame and the underside of the fenderwells on the bed, replaced the bad gaskets on the tank and replaced the gauge sender. I also replaced the rear brakes and calipers. I still have to do the front brakes but may not get to that anytime soon. I have been looking for new tires, but decided to hold off until spring. It will sit all winter as I will be overseas until sometime in February. I have retired from work and am doing some traveling for now. But next spring it will get new tires and the front brakes and possible ball joints.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
Small update, Springtime,, I again pulled the bed, make a leak repair. It BETTER hold! To do this I made an excuse to myself and drove it to Boise ID and used my brothers cherry picker. It was simple that way and it fit in his garage, then pulled a small utility trailer home with an outboard motor on it for the other brother, I got 20 MPG on the way up and 16.5 on the way home. Nice 500 mile trip. Ran great, it had been years since I ran it out this far and I had changed the engine a few years back. I did pick up a new set of tires, finally back on 31's and snowflakes. Brakes are all done also. Turns out they were not all that bad anyway. Ball joints are ok for now. I also ran the AC a week ago and it worked just fine. We will see when it gets really hot this summer. Need to upgrade the seats one of these days.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
So lately I have had an exhaust leak that has been bugging me. Found that the downpipe from the manifold was leaking. So I took it off and tried to get a replacement. Not to be found and it couldn't be repaired, extensive cracking. I have had a header in the shed for many years that was supposed to be a fit. So I installed it and it was a perfect fit. Nice and quiet again and I think a bit more low end power.
Truck continues to run well and is reliable. Still have a seep in the front seal but will address that later. I again have tickets for England, hope to be able to go this time.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
Well I finally made it to England, I am 1 week into quarantine and now the PM announced a 4 week lockdown! But I am having fun getting to know my 2 year old granddaughter!
I drove the Spacecab to Boise again as it fits into the parking spot better at my brothers house. Ran fantastic and got my best MPG ever. 22 MPG. It as well as the Trooper, are now parked until spring.
The first Isuzu I noticed over here was a 2nd gen RS diesel, right outside of London. It looked nice but no picture. I was a little ringy from the long flight.
Hope everyone has a good winter!

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
22 was the best I ever got with my Spacecab too. I think it could have done better with a carb conversion, but I never made it that far. Dennis

221 - 232 of 232 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.