Isuzu SUV Forum banner
201 - 220 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Well Jerry came through while I was gone and there was a new speedo head here when I got back. It was not an exact fit, but was close. I got it working and installed. I haven't put the dash back together yet, decided to put in a new speedo cable while I got it apart. Jerry is getting that sent out in the morning.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
So I got around to it today and got the speedo all buttoned up, weather was iffy but by the afternoon it was fine. While I was under the truck I kept looking at the trans mount and the carrier bearing. I have some sloppyness in the drivetrain that I thought might of been the rear end. I have had a mount and carrier bearing for some time, so I decided I would drop the driveline and also put the trans mount in. I got the trans mount installed, the old one was cracked about half way around. The carrier bearing was torn about 40% of the way around. I have the driveline in pieces and have to get the bearing off tomorrow. Hopefully I will have it on the road in the next day or two. But the rear end is looking ok for now. I put an LSD in it a few years back and all that seems fine.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Where's the pics !!! :)

Good to get that stuff fixed before it gets to bad , hopefully the carrier bearing will come off semi easy for you ..

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
yeah I am real bad at pictures. I ended up taking the driveline to my buddy that has the better setup and got the carrier bearing replaced. We were checking the u joints and found one right at the trans that was a bit stiff. I figured that was easy enough to get locally, there are 4 parts houses here and they all said we can have it tomorrow. So that was as far as that went yesterday. After I get moving this morning I will zip on down there and pick up the u joint and get this thing going again. I am getting ready to make a trip down to New Mexico soon and want this crap out of the way. And no I am not taking a Zoo. It is not a pleasure trip.

·
Registered
121 Posts
:D Nice pickup 8)

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Thanks,
Just don't look to close at the rust. I have been looking for a new bed for sometime but not had any luck. When I find that I am going to have the whole truck repainted.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
Wow, I didn't realize how long it has been since I posted. I haven't done much other than drive it. It developed a "dry" bearing sound at highway speeds so I parked for the last month or so. And the tranny seems kind of sloppy. I had another transmission in the shed so I made a deal to a mechanic friend. I gave him a Craftsman tool box I was no longer using and he is in the process of swapping my transmissions for me. For the longest time it was just to hot and then the winter switch went on. We had snow flying around here yesterday and the hills are all white topped. He should have it out next week some time for me. I visited it today and the trans is out and laying on the floor, next to the replacement. He has to swap the shift adapter and he wanted to see if he could find a tailshaft bearing for it. The engine I replaced last year runs great, so it will be awesome to have it back and able to drive it for more than 25 miles at a time.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
Finally got my Spacer back today and put it to work. I was cleaning out my late in-laws house today and the little truck did just fine. The sloppiness I didn't like seems to be gone. Tomorrow I will put some freeway miles and hopefully the dry bearing sound will be gone also. Really missed this little rig!

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Put a few freeway miles on it, it is all quiet in the trans area. Very pleased. I changed the oil, re-tightened the trans crossmember and I am good for the upcoming winter. I am going to have to have the radiator fixed next spring. I noticed a little coolant on the top seam and noticed a tiny crack in the joint.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
There is a nylon bushing on the shifter in the adapter box. When worn these cause sloppiness. Might be worth checking.

Reactions: MarkB.NV

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
Thank you sir, I was not aware of that. Kind of a funny thing happened to it when they were swapping the trans. Their mechanic had quit in the middle and the owner of the shop took over and..... put the original trans back in. I caught it before they had everything back in but the trans was stuffed and the crossmember was in. He took it in stride and stayed with it until done.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
Holy crap I am terrible at posting, I am always reading but seldom say anything. Anyway the Spacer is still running great, the coolant leak turned out to be a stupid bad clamp. I drive it most days back and forth to work. The replacement trans has not given me any trouble. Not to long ago I bought a "Jerry"cam for this engine. So today I pressure washed the engine and parked it in the driveway along side the house to start getting at that. Over the next few weeks I am going to get this done and replace the front crankshaft seal, it continues to seep even after I replace it when I put the engine in. I now have a speedy sleeve to put in too. There have been several oil leaks showing up lately, I suspect it is the dizzy seal or the ever problematic valve cover plug. They are both going to get replaced during the cam swap. I am hoping this cam lives up to what I have read, I have never heard anyone complain about it. I live at 5000 feet so it should show its potential right away.
I should also say I have been working on a different Trooper off and on too. It is an 88 with a 90ish engine. Picked it up awhile ago and let it sit. I sold it to my Grandson and he has been doing some work on it. I have to say it runs very well. We did a full tune up and replaced a lot of vacuum hoses. Still needs new calipers and what not but for a school kid running around it has done well.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
Another update,
The cam is in and running well. I just finished it up this morning and gave it a run. I actually surprised myself that it fired up and idled on the first attempt. I put about 50 miles on it and no check engine light.
I am not super thrilled at this point, I was expecting a bit more umph than what I got. I believe I need to recheck the timing. As it is hot as heck out there and the smoke from the fires in the area drove me inside. I will do that in the AM. Then go for another drive.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
Another update, I had found the timing needed to be adjusted and it ran better. But still felt like it was not right yet. So I continued to drive it for another week or so. I ran better but I still was not satisfied. It took several looks under the hood but I found another bad vacuum leak, fixed that and it was a bit better. Yesterday I was smelling raw gas when I got to work, so I checked it out a bit better before heading home that evening. I was worried that the gas line had deteriorated due to the changes in the gas. I had changed out as much of the fuel line as I could as it was all original. I have seen where several lines had burst causing engine fires before. The lines showed no signs of leakage but as I had my head down there I noticed that the charcoal canister had a vacuum line off of it. Put it back on and went home. The truck ran great, so as it turned out I had the timing retarded a bit and 2 big vacuum leaks. I am now satisfied with how the Spacer is running with the new cam. Power is better and holds better on the grades on the freeway. WIN!

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
On another note I picked up another parts Spacer with no running gear but a decent body. I am going to swap out the bed and a most of a front clip and get it painted. I will then consider it finished. Of course there will always be something but it is better than a vehicle payment. The donor truck also has a nice set of snowflakes on it. I am going to look at swapping out the electric windows too, always wanted them in the truck. This will keep me going for at least another year.... or longer :lol:

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
Remember how I said there is always something? Last week I went out to the granddaughters soccer game, took the pickup and it ran great. When it was time to go it would not start. Cranking but no start. I ended up towing it home and did some poking around. Figured out the fuel pump had given up the ghost. This weekend I got the new pump installed but it does not start like it used to. All I had to do before has just hit the key and it would start. Now I have to crank it quite a bit and then it runs fine. So I am thinking I may of screwed up the alternator while doing the bypass testing. I am planning on putting on a known good alternator to test my theory. While I had the bed off I called a guy to come look at the pickup to see about painting it. I have the donor vehicle for the body parts sitting right next to it. The entire bed needs replace, a front fender and the hood. We came to a price and next Saturday I am taking it and the replacement parts to his shop. He is a one man show but said it would take him about a month. This guy does amazing work. Can't wait for the results.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
Yesterday I drove the pickup over to the body shop and helped him pull the bed off. I picked up a complete replacement bed.So the rusty one can go away. I also had a replacement front fender to replace that rusty part. I am doing away with the 2 tone paint to a solid color. I told him to match the darker color. There once was a guy up in Canada that went with the solid color and I really liked how it looked. And it cost less. Hopefully in about a month I will have it back.
Still having issues with the starting, but when it starts it runs great. I replaced the alternator with another one and that didn't help. I will have to work on this problem when I get it back.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
Me too! Tried to look at it today but he was not there.

201 - 220 of 234 Posts