Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I figured out the problem with why the troop kept shutting off at a red light and sputtering at high speeds. For one thing, some dummy who had the thing before me had the hoses backwards on the air pump. While fixing that I noticed that the #1 plug wasn`t threaded in all the way. Tried to tighten it up, no go. Threads boogered. Cleaned `em and voi`la.
Next prob now. Can`t seem to get any warm air through the vents. I`m thinking heater core plugged. If so, what is the best route to take to remedy it short of removal?

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
First it might be a good idea to check the temp control linkage to make sure it's actually moving the heat control valve.

Failing that, try flushing the heater core. You can get at the spigots where they pass thru the firewall in the engine compt, driver's side.

If you haven't replaced the little twisted heater hoses back there, this is a good opportunity to do so. I've had these hoses blow out on (2) Troopers. Not so good with the 4's. :cry:

If you get a couple of lengths of straight heater hose, you can hook the supply side to one of the heater core spigots, with the second length on the discharge side, in order to direct the outflow away from the engine compt. You'll want to clamp the water supply to the spigot, otherwise water pressure will blow it out.

Good time to change those stock perverted hose clamps to stainless worm-gear type.

Flush both ways with the temp control at full heat and you'll likely be amazed at the crud that comes out.

If that doesn't work, the temp control valve may be shot. Hopefully, flushing does the trick as the core must be replaced to fix this problem.

HTH and Keep Warm...........ed

·
Registered
123 Posts
Howdy. Hey guys. Ed is correct with the heater core and control valve issues. A few other things come to mind...

I assume the fan motor works? Have you checked the "gate" controls? They are the little plastic gates inside the cab that control air direction. These are usually cable controlled, electric or vacuum operated. Also, physical blockage can cause lack of air flow issues. The culprit is usually leaves or pine needles and can usually be fixed by a good external cleaning of the heater core either by removing the unit or sending up a shop vac hose to get the foreign particles out. On the same note, if you've done any water/mud crossings this could also cause external physical blockage. To get the mud out you'll have to remove the heater core however.

Same deal on radiators with the mud. If you expose your rig to water/mud, make sure to clean out the radiator so air can come through. My 2 cents.

-Kevin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.