Isuzu SUV Forum banner
121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,386 Posts
Take it from an oldie. Been working on cars forever, and the absolute hardest thing to fix is rust and advanced rust to the extent of body cancer. Overhauled engines, replaced trannies, and third members, but the 85 I restored for my son had a very small area of just surface rust on the rear roof. Hardly could see it. Addressed it, I thought. Had car painted and darn if it didn't show up after a few years. You seem to have a handle on how your handling the resto on your Isuzu. Been following along. Detailed work should pay off with one nice resto.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
I sure hope the rust doesn’t come back. I’m probably going overkill on some stuff like the wheel tubs but it would be better to address it now instead of it popping up later. The windshield repair concerns me since there isn’t a great way to access the backside of the welds to coat them, but I’m looking into some type of cavity wax with a straw to reach into the door bottoms, rockers, and windshield frame.
Speaking of rust, I found some more. Working on it now and figured I’d share progress pics. The small rear door had some bondo repairs in the past that turned into rust.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Hood Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Hood Bumper Motor vehicle Wood

Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Grille

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
I haven’t updated this in a while, so here you go.

Attachments

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
These last few are from after the truck was completely wet sanded in 1000/1500/2000 grit and buffing started. I originally started with Meguiars on a blue foam pad on my rotary but it cut way too fast. I switched to the softer yellow pad with 3m perfect-it compound. I followed with Adam’s One Step polish and their microfiber pad. It’s far from perfect but not bad. I may wait the summer for the paint to harden fully and then resand with 2000/3000 and buff again to get all the defects out. Tamco clear stays soft for quite a while and it’s easy to burn through with too aggressive of action early on.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Man! That is a Thing of Beauty! The gold really pops.

I've been thinking about what I want to do to my '90 LS, and maybe a tu-tone with the original dark blue, and a gold would work. Thinking of having the lighter color on top and the bottom, with blue on the belt line and maybe on the raised section of the hood (or something similar).

I also like a burnt orange color but IDK if that would go as well with the dark blue.
Gold or silver are perfect counterpoints to the dark blue, though.

121 - 130 of 130 Posts