Isuzu SUV Forum banner
81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Another plug for Tamco. Their stuff is super nice, and the customer service is second to none. The owner herself will go out of her way to answer questions via text or their Facebook page. My "booth" is letting a ton of dust in still but it's better than nothing. I need to scuff the cowl and dust a little base and clear back over it once I get the junk sanded out.

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I wasn't completely happy with the sprayout today, so I did the core support for some practice fine tuning. Plan is to completely wetsand the roof, dust some color on a few spots, and flow coat the whole thing next weekend early before it gets so crazy hot. It cooled down this afternoon and the core support came out nearly perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
I've slowed to a crawl due to long hours at work (as usual) but I got the tub scuffed and primed. Next weekend will be block sanding and hopefully sealer/base/clear and I can kick the truck to the side and start working on doors.

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,175 Posts
Love your work and must say, your posting the flag picture. I've turned down fairly clean Troopers with less rust than yours. I always look at the front window channel for rust because I know how hard it is to repair. You seem to have it nailed pretty good and I like your attention to detail in your posting of the pics. Keep up the good work

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Thank you for the encouragement. It's hard to stay motivated when working 12 hour nights and spending a lone weekend here and there trying to catch up. Maybe one day I'll be independently wealthy, right...
I think I finally got the sealer figured out. I thinned it 4:1:1 rather than 4:1:2 and sprayed it with a 1.4 tip with the Iwata...it worked really well. I filled in the handful of small dents and dings and the body looks really straight.

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Color and clear. My "booth" is a little drafty, and I got the usual dirt and dust in the base that I was able to mostly sand out before putting a final drop coat on. My lighting is absolutely terrible once the sun goes down. Clear went on pretty well, all things considered. It'll be a decent driver quality paint job but won't ever win any shows.

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 Trooper LS, Chevy 4.3 built VERY stout! 32/11.50/15 M/T’s, 5 speed
7 Posts
I read/looked over your entire build in 1 day. All I can say is that you have GREAT skills. It’s so nice to see people “restoring” vehicles the correct way! I applaud your build, GREAT JOB!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Thank you for the kind words. It's been a grind for sure with a lot of unexpected hangups. I had no intention of this being a years-long restoration but I may as well do it right while it's apart.
Dad helped me install the carpet a month ago. Carpet is one of my most hated tasks. The trans tunnel on Troopers has very severe angles, and the ACC carpet does not match these at all. It's a painstaking process of trimming, fitting, trimming a little more etc. It doesn't help that the seat mounts aren't removable. But the job is done.
Vehicle Car Tire Motor vehicle Steering wheel
Motor vehicle Cloud Vehicle Combat vehicle Gas
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel
Grey Rectangle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Car

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Started on the doors and found unexpected rust in the front door
Hood Automotive tire Wheel Tire Tread
Ashtray Food Charcoal Tableware Ingredient
so I abandoned that until later. I'm going to clean up and paint all the black accessories like wiper arms, rear spoiler, door handles, and roof rack for now.
Hood Automotive tire Road surface Wood Asphalt

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
2 days worth of work didn't yield a huge result but I keep plugging away wasting time on stuff like making door handles perfect...nobody ever tells you how much time you can waste on little details. The handles had some odd pitting, I'm not sure if it was already there or if the Ospho had a weird reaction. But they got primed, filled, and primed/sealed again.

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
In between sessions of handle repair, I started on the hood. It had some rust in the front corners that I originally thought would have to be cut apart and fixed, but after stripping the seam sealer it really wasn't bad at all. I used a needle gun to knock all the loose flakes out and applied Ospho and let it dry. After 24 hrs, you can coat over the top but I'm out of primer so I'll have to wait for that to come in.

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
My Tamco resupply came in and I was able to get back to work. The hood front was primed and then seam sealed. The roof rack, wipers, and handles got painted in single stage black. All this between doing preventive maintenance on the daily drivers and stripping and priming a motorcycle gas tank. It was a productive weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 Isuzu Trooper II
9 Posts
Jeez, I just looked up "Got carried away" on Webster's site and got linked to this thread. 😂

81 - 97 of 97 Posts