Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the drain in the 88 Trooper radiator is pipe thread? I don't want to drain my radiator to find out. I want to put a thread in fan thermostat to run a 16" slim fan and ditch the mechanical fan.

Thanks, Forest

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
It would be much better if you could tap into the water jacket in the head or near the thermostat housing. This is where the water is the hottest and it will turn the fan on sooner.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Have you installed the fan yet?

Hey I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the drain in the 88 Trooper radiator is pipe thread? I don't want to drain my radiator to find out. I want to put a thread in fan thermostat to run a 16" slim fan and ditch the mechanical fan.

Thanks, Forest

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I haven't,I'm ordering the fan and relay kit tonight. I'm looking for an extra Thermostat housing so I can TIG a bung on to it for the temp sensor. I want to be able to take one off and put the other right back on. I need to do it though my fan clutch is boned squeals over 3k rpm.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the fan all installed. Went with a 16 inch S-Blade 2300cfm at 3.5" thick. I used a 185 on 170 off thermostat. I took out the thermal valve in the thermostat housing and put the thermostat in there. I wired it up to the constant and ignition switched wires in the open power window relay. I did this to make a cleaner setup then what the instal directions suggested. It works great, although it was too much for the alternator. I was able to bolt up a Isuzu NPR alternator at 70 amps it has no problem running the fan and everything else at idle.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Excellent! What brand of fan and thermostat? How did you determine the alternator was weak?

How 'bout some photos? You know what 'they' say here on the planet.....photos or it didn't happen. heh

Littleredwagon said:
Got the fan all installed. Went with a 16 inch S-Blade 2300cfm at 3.5" thick. I used a 185 on 170 off thermostat. I took out the thermal valve in the thermostat housing and put the thermostat in there. I wired it up to the constant and ignition switched wires in the open power window relay. I did this to make a cleaner setup then what the instal directions suggested. It works great, although it was too much for the alternator. I was able to bolt up a Isuzu NPR alternator at 70 amps it has no problem running the fan and everything else at idle.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Don't need a tutorial but I would be interested in seeing the alternater, 'stat, fan and especially interested in how you mounted the fan.

What brand of fan and 'stat did you go with?

Littleredwagon said:
I'm not one to do the whole tutorial picture thing but I'll take some pics of the parts installed.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Thank you for the pics.

I wonder if that vacuum pump would be good enough to pump down the ac system ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure? I was thinking of using it for the power brakes when I have the 270 cam in. The 30 degrees of overlap makes stopping 33s even with the big brake conversion crappy. I didn't check to see if the pump fit though, looks tight.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Thanks for the photos. Very informative.

I'm not seeing that vacuum pump on my engine. Where is it mounted and what is it for?

I don't know what exactly the thermal valve does, but now that you eliminated it won't you have warm up or other 'issues'?

Looks like the fan is not sitting completely in the hole of the shroud which might block air flow. Optical delusion?

I bought a similar fan and did not like the zip tie through the radiator fins style of attachment. That system is secure in the side to side movement but still allows quite a bit of up and down movement, which will damage the fins when bouncing around off road. In my opinion anyhow. I decided not to install the fan but will do so in the future when I have fabricated a better mounting system.

That alternator is sweeet! Perfect fit too. Where did you buy it? Care to share the cost?

I can't speak for anyone else but I think it is always helpful to have photos showing what you have done. That way we all benefit.

Thanks again!

Littleredwagon said:
Heres the pictures. I got the fan on ebay from onebad71camaro i got the thermostat and relay kit from him too.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
its possible the VAC will fit on a pup ALT
the Isuzu pup\LUV diesels used that same set up, and it would be a nice up grade for a 30 year old vac pump....

THEY NEED ENGINE OIL UNDER PRESSER WITH A RETURN TO THE PAN, OR IT WILL FRY IN SHORT ORDER. :!: :!:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Jay,

i believe the vacuum pump was on the new 70 amp alternator that was from a NPR type Isuzu. The pump was removed. I don't think your stock Troop had/has one.
A really great idea, IMHO, was that of "Betterthanyou" where he fab'd a fan shroud to firmly mount his new electric fan, instead of relying on zip ties going through the radiator fins. See: http://archives.planetisuzoo.com/viewto ... 16&start=0 It also helped his AC cooling if I recall correctly. Seems with your background, should be right up your alley!
Many Troopers that did not have AC, were built with the 50A alternator, while those that had AC sported the grand 60A alternator! The 60A option could be swapped in, requiring no modifications. Must admit, 70A does meet more modern day needs, supporting the mandatory megawatt audio systems, electric compressors, beer 'frig, shower pumps, etc.

Hope this helps,

GB

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like the shroud. I have a plasma table and a pan brake at work I think that may be the near future. I do have it off-set as I wanted enough clearance from the fan motor to the water pump pulley to fit a hand through. Your trooper doesn't have a vacuum pump. The pump is for the diesel to operate the power brakes. I got the alternator off ebay, just search NPR alternator there is only one type. I paid $120 shipped for it. The thermal valve is no big deal to me as I don't have AC and I don't need the fast idle water flow as Maine's climate is not that of a desert. The water temp sensor is the key player in the fast idle for cold start so I have no problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Selador said:
Thank you for the pics.

Just a guess but are you attempting to pump a A/C system down to get the moisture out? If so I have some cheap suggestions. Harbor Freight has a vacuum pump and I have one; it does a good job but is a little expensive for one application.

But a cheaper solution is to install a fuel filter on the intake of your air compressor to keep contaminants from entering the compressor. Then cut the top off an empty refrigerant can. Epoxy the back side of the can's top to a hose to connect to the intake of the air compressor. The threaded portion of the can top then will connect to the fill hose that connects to the low pressure A/C hose connection for adding refridgerant. I have a vacuum gauge on mine. The compressor discharge is to the air.

A few hours of pumping will pull almost a pure vacuum on the compressor that I use for tires; I usually let it go for a day especially on a hot afternoon. My shop compressor does better/faster but any moisture will be collected in its tank which is not good. This will NOT overload the compressor and it actually will pull less power with its intake throttled. The lower the vacuum it can pull the better. I use a heat gun to gently warm the metal parts to 120 degrees F to more easily vaporize the moisture.

I am new to this forum so hopefully this will be moved to a more appropriate location or if someone will notify me where it should go to benefit more people then I will copy it there and add pictures of my setup.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I would love to see photos of your set up.

You know what 'they' say here on the forum.....pics or it didn't happen.

SavvyMan said:
Selador said:
Thank you for the pics.

Just a guess but are you attempting to pump a A/C system down to get the moisture out? If so I have some cheap suggestions. Harbor Freight has a vacuum pump and I have one; it does a good job but is a little expensive for one application.

But a cheaper solution is to install a fuel filter on the intake of your air compressor to keep contaminants from entering the compressor. Then cut the top off an empty refrigerant can. Epoxy the back side of the can's top to a hose to connect to the intake of the air compressor. The threaded portion of the can top then will connect to the fill hose that connects to the low pressure A/C hose connection for adding refridgerant. I have a vacuum gauge on mine. The compressor discharge is to the air.

A few hours of pumping will pull almost a pure vacuum on the compressor that I use for tires; I usually let it go for a day especially on a hot afternoon. My shop compressor does better/faster but any moisture will be collected in its tank which is not good. This will NOT overload the compressor and it actually will pull less power with its intake throttled. The lower the vacuum it can pull the better. I use a heat gun to gently warm the metal parts to 120 degrees F to more easily vaporize the moisture.

I am new to this forum so hopefully this will be moved to a more appropriate location or if someone will notify me where it should go to benefit more people then I will copy it there and add pictures of my setup.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts