Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Every since I got this trooper it has been an ordeal! Apparently the guy we bought it from sold it to us with a blown head gasket or head. I ordered a new improved head from Odessa Cylinder and Head out of clearwater Florida. My wife and I were in the process of moving and I was still in another town. So, I had her take it to a shop to have them install the head. They had it for 3 friggin months and could never get it to run right. He eventually got it timed correctly and I have had enough. I have since moved here to my new house finally and picked it up. It does not run any better than before I took it in but at least it is no longer getting hot.

I got it back yesterday and started looking into it. Many vacuum hoses were hooked up wrong and some not even there! The Back Pressure Transducer is missing totally as well as the Thermo Valve!! I know the Thermo Valve was there and not sure about the BPT.

I need to order and install those. But the thing is burning oil like crazy and I could see a supply of blue smoke out of the exhaust when I was driving behind her on the way home. It was not constant though. He told me he did a compression test and it tested fine. So I don't know if this issue relates to something wrong with the head installation or because of the vacuum system not being complete?

I did notice that when I was hooking up the vacuum hoses correctly, the hose that goes to the thermal vacuum valve from under the intake manifold was dripping out a good amount of oil when I turned it downwards. Then the other hose that goes from the Thermal Vacuum Valve to the BPT is missing along with it!

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
oliverbutthead said:
Hello Every since I got this trooper it has been an ordeal!
I would never take anything to that shop, again. Those thermal valves are spendy. And I would suspect why it disappeared.

To take your post a step at a time...

BPT:

You can bypass the bpt by doing the following.

*There is a vacuum line that runs from the bottom of the egr to the bottom of the bpt. Cap that at the egr.
*There is a vacuum line that goes to the side of the egr, to the side of the bpt. And a vacum line that runs from the intake, to the other side of the bpt.

Now what you want to do is to find the little red straw from something like a wd40 can, or brake cleaner can. Make sure you have one with the really tiny hole. Some of them have larger holes.

Get a 'straight through' vacuum fitting that fits the vacuum lines. Glue that red straw into the vacuum fitting. Use rtv or something like plumber's goop. Leave a bit of the straw sticking out both side, to be sure you haven't clogged up the red straw. Let cure overnight.

Now use that to connect the two vacuum lines. The one that comes from the intake, and the one that goes to the side of egr.

That should get you normal functionality there, so you can at least get it running right.

~~~~~~~

Thermal Valve:

That valve has three lines on it.

The two functions it has are 1.) To increase the idle speed if you have the AC turned on. And 2.) To increase the idle speed if the engine reaches a certain temp. This cools the engine down a bit faster by circulating the coolant faster.

Function one... If you are not using the AC, then that part of the 'circuit' can be eliminated. As well as the valve on the wheelwell. That valve on the wheelwell has two lines. One comes from the thermal valve, and the other goes back to the intake. Cap the port at the intake.

Now the other function of the thermal valve is not so easily done away with.

You could get a simpler thermal valve, and run that circuit through it. Or you could eliminate that 'vacuum circuit' by doing the following.

Get a simple thermal switch. One that turns on the juice at whatever temp you choose. Say 195 degrees. Use that switch to power an electric fan that you mount to the radiator. That will kick the fan on at 195, and have the same effect as increasing the idle. It will cool the motor down, faster.

Here is a link to where I have discussed the thermal valve, from my own build. I even have a picture there ! LOL

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=47326&start=250

~~~~~~~

The burning oil:

If oil is dripping from the vacuum line, that means that oil is getting into the intake.

The easiest route for the oil to get to the intake through, is the PCV. Replace the PCV.

But that problem also troubles me a bit. There shouldn't be so much "pressure" under the valve cover.

Are you sure they put the right head on there ? The only thing I can think of for that kind of pressure in that area, is 'blowby' past the valve stems.

New or 'rebuilt' valves, valve stem guides, valve stem seats, and valve stem seals, should all be in there. There should be no blowby.

I am sure someone else will have other thoughts. Probably better than mine. LOL

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
1. Make sure the vacuum and emission controls are properly hooked up.

... then some other crap

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for ya'lls input. Looks like I am gonna have to take the head off and go back through everything myself :cry: :evil: The age ol' if you want it done right, do it yourself. I was in a pinch with my wife being in a new place without a car and me 600 miles away........ I know one thing is everyone around here will here about the experience we had with him. He knew it wasn't right and still took my money and returned it to me.

I don't even know if he used new valves ? I don't trust what he has to say and will have to redo it myself. I do know he was having trouble timing it but got it right supposedly after talking with somebody from isuzu...... It was a fiasco and 3 months worth of headaches.

Luckily I picked up an 86' diesel trooper for $200 a month ago!! Does not have a title but just have to contact previous owner and file for it being lost. Sat for six years a block away from me in the woods and never knew it was there. Looked bad at first but after a good cleaning and a new battery, we pull started it and it started right up!!! Took one can to charge the a/c and it even blows cold!! Changed all the fluids in it and now that it is getting cooler, needs glow plugs. Otherwise it runs perfect.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It took me about 4 hrs to sift through the diagram and photos on this forum to finally understand the vacuum system. The pics people have posted really helped understand the diagram under the hood.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Please post pics if you can, we want to see both them Troopers, especially that nasty old diesel beast. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are some pics of the rigs. The white one is the 2.2 diesel and the black the 2.6 gas. The black one cleans up really well and they are fun to drive! I have always preferred diesel and I know these are hard to come by. I have had nothing but problems with the black one from day one. Not its' fault though. Someone was dishonest and it still has not been fixed properly. The diesel has 183k and supposedly only 78k on the gas.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Thanks for putting up the pics, that diesel Trooper sure looks like a sweet ride. I'm jealous. 8)

·
Registered
523 Posts
oliverbutthead said:
Luckily I picked up an 86' diesel trooper for $200 a month ago!! Does not have a title but just have to contact previous owner and file for it being lost. Sat for six years a block away from me in the woods and never knew it was there. Looked bad at first but after a good cleaning and a new battery, we pull started it and it started right up!!! Took one can to charge the a/c and it even blows cold!! Changed all the fluids in it and now that it is getting cooler, needs glow plugs. Otherwise it runs perfect.
Ok.....so here is your chance to double your money, I'll give ya 400 for the diesel right now!

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Ok.....so here is your chance to double your money, I'll give ya 400 for the diesel right now!
That didn't take long ... :) Yeah, you'll find willing buyers for the diesel here on the planet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Both of these troopers came from central Tx. Not really any rust at all! I just moved from outside of Houston to the Davis Mountains in west Tx. and is one of the main reasons I bought the Trooper for my wife. We live on some pretty steep gravel roads and did some research looking for an inexpensive reliable sturdy 4 wheel drive. It can also get muddy and snows here sometimes. We have always liked older model vehicles that were built sturdier and more simplistic than all this new computerized crap.

I really lucked out on the diesel! Got screwed on the other so I guess it balanced out. My neighbor was cleaning up their land and knew I had just purchased the other so they told me they would let me have it for $200. I didn't know it was a diesel and was gonna buy it just for spare parts since I was moving to a remote area. To my surprise when I went to look, it was a diesel and I couldn't get my money out fast enough to give it to them.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
COOL! Thanks for the info I am definately going to look more into this. I saw a glimpse of this possibility browsing through other threads and didn't look much further into it yet. But now you pointed me in the direction of information and this is exactly what I am looking for. More simplicity........Just have to get together the parts and take the time to do it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts