Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
theres a possibility that i will be getting an 87 trooper as a experiment / project truck soon. what im wondering is the motor going to need to be replaced? it has 275,xxx miles on it. just wondering if it will go on me, im not looking to drop a new engine in anytime soon, the guy that owns it said it still runs great. i don't know what kind of engine is in it because i dont have it with me. it is a 5 speed 4wd. this is all i know about it. hopefully with a little cash and time, this will be an awesome rig. ill have to trailor it tho, i dont have the money to get tags and insurance on it. if anyone has/had an 87 trooper, please share about it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well, first thing you will have to do since it is an 87, is check to see if it has rear drum or rear disc brakes. Disc = 12 bolt axle, drum = 10 bolt.

The engine will run fine since it probably has already had the head replaced. You probably have the 2.3L or 2.6L 4 cyl engine in that truck. I don't recall the years that they swapped over, nor do I remember the first year for the v6 conversions. There is lots of information on this site and a few other sites about this vehicle. I know of several 1st gen troopers with the mileage that you are talking about that are still daily drivers for people.

Don't fret about the miles. Get it and enjoy it. I drive a 90 model everyday, and you would be hard pressed to get me to part with it.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:cry: cant get it till i pay off my rodeo, which will be when i get money, which will be never. but i shall be persistant in my struggle. next time i go out there ill check the brakes and engine size. im not looking at this being a dd, more of a trail rig, plus im not going to get insurance or tags so i cant drive it on the road anyways. ill keep my progress updated.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Try and look for a cheap 2.6 or 2.8 truck. Either of these should have the 12 bolt rear which will be stronger, and have disc brakes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.