Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to change the thermostat in my '86 Trooper due to a leaky gasket. The temperature is great right now, but I know these are prone to overheating. Do you recommend the factory 180 degree thermostat or should I drop down to a 160?

Thanks!

·
Registered
558 Posts
i ran a 180* in my 90 Troopers 2.6L never had a problem. 160* might be too cold thus not causing the motor to warm up right.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
180 is correct, 160 is too cold. If you think you might be having cooling issues, you probably need a new radiator. If it's the original '86 radiator, definitely change it before you DO have cooling issues! :shock:

The original rad's in these were single-row of tubes which are inadequate once the tubes start filling up with corrosion products. If your Trooper runs much over 1/2 on the temp gage, or the temp starts creeping up on a warmish day or when going up a long grade, the radiator is very likely shot.

Get a new 2-row radiator (big enough to cool a V6 !) for $114 shipped at http://www.radiatorbarn.com/s7.asp?ac=Y ... =L4%2C2.3L or any number of internet radiator suppliers.

BTW, I've had the little heater hoses at the firewall blow out on several Troopers, I'd recommend replacing those before they blow and crack the cyl head! The hose coming around the back of the head, going to the intake manifold, blew on my '86 and steam was everywhere. Didn't do the engine a lot of good either!

HTH.........ed

·
Registered
368 Posts
I run a 170 on mine, warm enough for freezing temps, but still a little cooler. Plus its on a soft top Amigo, so how much heat can you expect.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Ed Mc. said:
180 is correct, 160 is too cold. If you think you might be having cooling issues, you probably need a new radiator.
HTH.........ed
like Ed Mc. hints, changing the thermostat to one that opens sooner, is not going to fix an overheating problem. it's just going to get the coolant circulating sooner, but the overheating will catch up to that. so you need to find out what's causing the overheating and rectify that -- and it may well be the radiator.

of course, if your thermostat is shot and stuck closed, replacing it will rectify that problem.

BTW, specific engines are designed to run best within a specific temperture range (modern engines run quite hot), so changing to a thermostat that runs cooler may well make your engine run less well.

so, run the thermostat called for.......... :) ............ :arrow: and since you're only doing this because you have a leaky thermostat housing gasket, i suggest go with the original thermostat's specs, take care of the leaking gasket. . . . and then take care of anything else if and when it becomes a problem. if it ain't broke.....etc.

good luck

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I agree with the 180 degree stat, but the dont fix it if it aint broke thing I dont go along with.

If you've ever experianced the wonderfull 2.3, 2.6 head thing, it's not something you want to repeat.

Myself, after purchasing the thing with a busted head & paying a lame mechanic to fix it, and having the thing crack again I went with a AMC head, 2 row radiator & all new hoses and belts & while I had all the crap out of the way, a new water pump. Little spendy, but no problems & dont expect any.

Jim

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
onetouch said:
I agree with the 180 degree stat, but the dont fix it if it aint broke thing I dont go along with.

If you've ever experianced the wonderfull 2.3, 2.6 head thing, it's not something you want to repeat. ....

...while I had all the crap out of the way, a new water pump. Little spendy, but no problems & dont expect any.

Jim
yeh, i understand. but, all he's got is a leaking thermostat gasket. not a lot you need to do to get to that........but whatever makes him feel better.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the great advice. I'll stick with the 180 for now. The temperature seems great. I am also planning a radiator flush while I've got the fluid out. The last thing I want to do is pull the head!

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
"yeh, i understand. but, all he's got is a leaking thermostat gasket. not a lot you need to do to get to that........but whatever makes him feel better."

Ya, I see your point also. Depends I guess in if you're in it for the long haul on these 1st gen Troops.

I suppose if the man had a hell of a leak around the thermostat it could cause problems. I supect there is more involved, but hey, it"s not mine.

The way I see it, you're going to have to do it all sooner or later, so why dribble it out. Tear it down one time & be done with it.

Jim+

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've had good and bad experiences with new T-stats. The last one I replaced worked out fine, but the one before that liked to stick closed from the time I put it in. So, my advice would be this, buy 2 gaskets and one good quality stock spec thermostat. If you want the new shiny one, put it in and keep the old one that has been working just fine other than the gasket leak. If the new one fails to live up to expectations you can yank it out and put the old one right back in. If you like how things are running and don't want to change then leave the old one in and replace just the gasket. Toss the new thermostat in the center console with the extra new gasket and then you have it in case the old one ever starts to actually go bad.

In short, if it aint broke, don't fix it. I have to say a big AMEN to replacing those heater hoses though. My 86 is still cracked in the head because one of them blew out. Hoses and belts are one case where you should fix it *before* it breaks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.