Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to carbs and I’d like to add power and I’ve heard that efi conversion improve the performance. Has anyone done an efi conversion to their 2.3 86 trooper? Is so what is needed for it to be done?

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,143 Posts
I'll take a stab at this, but this would be only an opinion as I have not done this. I think the 2.3 in 95 in the pick ups was fuel injected. However most 2.3's are carbed. I did go the other way on my 2.6 in that I removed the ITEC and installed a weber carb. There are some after market fuel injection systems that are mainly throttle body types. The ITEC that Isuzu used was a multi port type with individual injectors. Seems to me to be way to much work for the added gain you may experience. Probably going with a larger exhaust and turbo muffler will improve the performance just as much. With a fuel injection such as Isuzu uses the ECM controls injector pulses and ignition timing. So you would need several inputs to the ECM which you would have to install and wire such as coolant temp. maf sensor crank position, and not sure your vacuum advance carb could be used. Then the upper and lower intakes along with a high pressure pump which is installed in the tank to replace your low pressure mechanical pump.I guess your best bet may be an after market system much like a mega squirt type system. Hopefully someone with some hands on experience will see this and chime in.

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
I'll take a stab at this, but this would be only an opinion as I have not done this. I think the 2.3 in 95 in the pick ups was fuel injected. However most 2.3's are carbed. I did go the other way on my 2.6 in that I removed the ITEC and installed a weber carb. There are some after market fuel injection systems that are mainly throttle body types. The ITEC that Isuzu used was a multi port type with individual injectors. Seems to me to be way to much work for the added gain you may experience. Probably going with a larger exhaust and turbo muffler will improve the performance just as much. With a fuel injection such as Isuzu uses the ECM controls injector pulses and ignition timing. So you would need several inputs to the ECM which you would have to install and wire such as coolant temp. maf sensor crank position, and not sure your vacuum advance carb could be used. Then the upper and lower intakes along with a high pressure pump which is installed in the tank to replace your low pressure mechanical pump.I guess your best bet may be an after market system much like a mega squirt type system. Hopefully someone with some hands on experience will see this and chime in.
You will need the COMPLETE EFI from a 1988-1991 Trooper Fuel tank with pump, ALL wiring harness, ALL under hood stuff - including fuse box. Really not worth it
If you want performance, there are still performance cams out there. Couple a performance cam with a Weber 32/36 or for more performance a Weber 38/38 (less gas mileage). Dennis

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright thank you, my 86 is super weak but it seems why to hard to engine swap one. Honestly I’ll probably just swap the body onto a 88-91 frame if I get the time and money. Even that would be more simple than trying the efi conversion plus then I’d have the look of my 86 with the power and durability of the 88-91s. Thanks for your reply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts