Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FINALLY found one in NJ. its rough, i MEAN ROUGH....surface rust all over the sides and the bed is hit...but its a Turbo diesel used as a plow truck. i saw it today and the plow was off it and on a K20 chevy. so i stopped in and asked if it was for sale. have to go back tomorrow and talk to the owner. what do i look for for the 3rd gen rods? and anything i should be concerned about the engine??? i was thinking of playing dumb and go, OH its a diesel, diesel is expensive :) and i know frame rot, it has to have it by now....ill check the miles, but its a 4x4. going to offer 500, but if he wants more, opinions??? ill have more info tomorrow on miles and such but its got the scoop and t/diesel sticker on the gate. and this is going to be for PARTS, its THAT rough.....
thanks
Ron

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
lowzone said:
FINALLY found one in NJ. its rough, i MEAN ROUGH....surface rust all over the sides and the bed is hit...but its a Turbo diesel used as a plow truck. i saw it today and the plow was off it and on a K20 chevy. so i stopped in and asked if it was for sale. have to go back tomorrow and talk to the owner. what do i look for for the 3rd gen rods? and anything i should be concerned about the engine??? i was thinking of playing dumb and go, OH its a diesel, diesel is expensive :) and i know frame rot, it has to have it by now....ill check the miles, but its a 4x4. going to offer 500, but if he wants more, opinions??? ill have more info tomorrow on miles and such but its got the scoop and t/diesel sticker on the gate. and this is going to be for PARTS, its THAT rough.....
thanks
Ron
RON,IF IT RUNS GOOD AND IS REASONABLY QUITE AND SMOOTH , NO WAY TO TELL WHAT RODS ARE IN THE ENG WITH OUT PULLING THE LOWER OIL PAN AND PUTTING AN EYE BALL ON THEM, THE PICKUPS WERE NOT AS BAD ABOUT LEAVING PARTS ON THE DRIVE WAY AS THE TROOPER WAS, , AND THEY NEVER INSTALLED THE OIL CATCH TANK ON THE PUP,S EITHER , ONLY ON THE TROOPER. ,

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JLEMOND said:
RON,IF IT RUNS GOOD AND IS REASONABLY QUITE AND SMOOTH , NO WAY TO TELL WHAT RODS ARE IN THE ENG WITH OUT PULLING THE LOWER OIL PAN AND PUTTING AN EYE BALL ON THEM, THE PICKUPS WERE NOT AS BAD ABOUT LEAVING PARTS ON THE DRIVE WAY AS THE TROOPER WAS, , AND THEY NEVER INSTALLED THE OIL CATCH TANK ON THE PUP,S EITHER , ONLY ON THE TROOPER. ,
ah thats what i was wondering. so the TD pups didnt eat pistons or rods as much? ill take pics and see what he wants. if its anything over 1200 id walk from it....unless it was like a 60k mile truck.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I bought a 86t/d 2wd 5sp awhile back and after getting it home I went through the paper work and found the original window sticker and a reciept for new motor. Seems the engine came apart for some reason.

The original owner was an older fella and never abused it and of course this had 373 gears. He had no clue why it blew up. Lucky me, Jerry.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
soot fart said:
I bought a 86t/d 2wd 5sp awhile back and after getting it home I went through the paper work and found the original window sticker and a reciept for new motor. Seems the engine came apart for some reason.

The original owner was an older fella and never abused it and of course this had 373 gears. He had no clue why it blew up. Lucky me, Jerry.
OH YEAH , THERE WERE SOME THAT DID SCATTER THEM SELVES , BUT THEY WERE NO WHERE NEAR THE PROB AS THE TROOPERS, THE MAIN REASON THE TROOPER S WOULD LET GO WAS THE WEIGHT OF THEM 3800 LB,S THE 4.55 GEARS , AND PEOPLE OVER REVEING THEM TO MANY TIMES , THE PICKUPS WEIGHED NEARLY A 1000 LB,S LESS AND THE 3.73 GEARS KEPT THE ENG SPEED DOWN,

IN 87 THE TROOPERS HAD THE REAR AXLE GEARS CHANGED AND CAME WITH 4.10 TO SLOW THE ENG DOWN, THE ONLY YEAR THE TROOPERS EVER CAME WITH ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE 4.55, UNTILL WAY LATER WITH THE 4.77 IN SOME OF THEM,

WHAT IS ODD THE NEWER TROOPERS WITH THE MUCH MORE POWER FUL DSL, LIKE THE 3.1 FROM WHAT I CAN GATHER WERE COMING WITH EITHER 4.77 OR 4.88 AND HAVE HAD NO PROB, THAT I HAVE HEARD OFF, AND A MUCH HEAVIER TRUCK,

THOS DANG RODS MUST BE 4 IN THICK,

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
2,790 Posts
JLEMOND said:
WHAT IS ODD THE NEWER TROOPERS WITH THE MUCH MORE POWER FUL DSL, LIKE THE 3.1 FROM WHAT I CAN GATHER WERE COMING WITH EITHER 4.77 OR 4.88 AND HAVE HAD NO PROB, THAT I HAVE HEARD OFF, AND A MUCH HEAVIER TRUCK,

THOS DANG RODS MUST BE 4 IN THICK,
Didn't you recommend a "fix" to limit revs for the C223T that Isuzu liked, but it was too late for the C223T? Maybe they used it in the later engines?

Jack

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
if any one opens one up, these are the three different rods.....

GEN1s are what the vast amount of them had off the lot, some i dont know how many have GEN2s off the lot.
the GEN3s are replacement only none where sold on the lot with them.....

there was something in the engine serial ## that can identify one too, warranty engines had a funny ## or no number at all.....
oh that's the other thing, warranty engines where short blocks not long blocks from what ive heard....

Attachments

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
2,790 Posts
I don't think I'd trust those two that are held together with zip ties! :lol: Gimme hardened bolts every time! *

Jack

* Note to the humor impaired: ;)

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
JoeIsuzu said:
I don't think I'd trust those two that are held together with zip ties! :lol: Gimme hardened bolts every time! *

Jack

* Note to the humor impaired: ;)
ONCE THE BEARINGS CLEARANCE IS SET WITH THAT SPECIAL TYE , THE BEARING WILL ALL WAYS SELF ADJUST,THEY WILL NEVER BE TO TIGHT LOL, JERRY

1 - 10 of 10 Posts