Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
There are automotive electricians that can bump up the output of the stock alternator. Usually a new stator is all that's needed, I think.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I don't know. Others will have to answer about that.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Kable said:
What are my options for replacing the 60 amp alternator with something higher?
http://storesense1.mysuperpageshosting.com/HS13162/Detail.bok?no=610

I believe this is what you're lookin for. Price keeps going up, but at 165 amps what can you expect lol? Brandon found this first so all credit goes to him. If you've got any questions he's got one his his truck, but he just got deployed again so good luck getting in touch with him.

-Robert

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
If we are talking about a 93 Trooper, both 60 and 75 amp alts are available at any parts store, not that 75 is a huge upgrade.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Kable said:
so does that also mean the 90 amp 99+ alternator fits the 93's as a bolt on?
Probably not. The 3.2 V6 in the 93 Rodeo is way different from the 3.2 in the 98+ Rodeo. You'd probably have to check out Dae's links for that truck. If you have the GM 3.1 V6 your options may be better because that motor was so widely used.

-Robert

·
Registered
676 Posts
Look on the bright side; at least you're not powering 2 12" subwoofers and a 700 watt amp, a CB radio, and an extra set of fog lamps.

-Robert

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I have 1000 more watts then you, and my 90A works great for em :) The 90 bolts right into a older 6VD1, Wiring is basically the same. You just need two female spade connectors and some silicone.

·
Registered
676 Posts
pmat said:
I have 1000 more watts then you, and my 90A works great for em :) The 90 bolts right into a older 6VD1, Wiring is basically the same. You just need two female spade connectors and some silicone.
Damn son! I used to have more power than that but these subs do more than I'll ever need again. I've got em wired at 2ohms so I'm getting wicked power out of em, but for what I listen too it's overkill.

I considered going with the 90 amp when my factory alternator died, but at the time money was tight, so I opted for the factory 70 amp replacement.

-Robert

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Need to do something. Had everything on and the volts dropped to 11 on the gauge. Rear defroster made a big impact on volts. Headlights dimmed, wipers slowed down. Got up to speed and it hardly went past 12 volts. This really sucks. Anyone have the 3 wire pinout and the 4 wire pinout for the alternators????? I have a brand new optima, alternator cant keep up....

·
Registered
523 Posts
Maybe a higher output alt isn't needed. Check ALL your wiring! I had similar probs, and ran a 6 gauge wire fron rear single output on the alt to the battery positive, and my voltage problems disappeared. Also check your grounds, sometimes adding a better ground helps.

To test this theory cheaply, hook your voltmeter to the battery posts, and run a cheap 10 gauge wire from alt to batt positive, and see if it makes a difference. If it does, crimp some ring ends on it and install it semi-permanent to test it for longer term. If it improves things, and you want, you can get some 6 gauge at the hardware store, and some ring lugs to make it even thicker wiring. The 6 gauge I used was REALLY burly!

If my puny 60 amp can hang with the highbeams, wipers, rear defrost, fan on high, radio, and two honking big 130 watt PIAA driving lights, I think your wiring might need help.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Kable said:
does the extra wire need an amp fuse on it between the alternator and battery? Would give me a reason to use the side posts on the optima.
as just a test, I wouldn't bother with a fuse or fusible link. If installed permanent, I'd consider it (I haven't put one inline yet).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts