Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a line on a '93 5speed tranny setup. First of all, will everything needed to do the swap work on my '96 if coming from a '93? Second, the tranny has a whine likely from the input shaft bearring and has had it for 150k miles, should I just replace the bearring or should I have it rebuilt?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
** Bump and Title Edit for Possible Replies **

·
Registered
113 Posts
sorry, not sure about the answer to your question but im interested in your swap as i plan on doing the same to mine. i would call a reputable tranny shop (or a few) and ask them. is it an mua5?

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Mediamonkey11 said:
I've got a line on a '93 5speed tranny setup. First of all, will everything needed to do the swap work on my '96 if coming from a '93? Second, the tranny has a whine likely from the input shaft bearring and has had it for 150k miles, should I just replace the bearring or should I have it rebuilt?

Thanks guys!
THE 93 TRANS WILL BOLT IN FINE BUT YOU WILL NOT HAVE A WAY TO SHIFT THE FRT AXLE IN AND OUT SINCE YOUR TRANNY HAS THE SHIFT ON THE FLY SETUP ON THE TRANS FER CASE ,YOU COULD DISASEMBLE BOTH T/CASES AND USE THE 96 PARTS ON THE 93 MAKING THE 93 A SHOTF SYSTEM OR USE THE 93 AS IS AND USE MANUAL HUBS AND THEN LOCK THE AXLE ACTUATOR IN ALL THE TIME ,WHICH IS MUCH EASIER THAN SWITCHING AROUND THE T/CASES

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JLEMOND said:
Mediamonkey11 said:

Thanks guys!
THE 93 TRANS WILL BOLT IN FINE BUT YOU WILL NOT HAVE A WAY TO SHIFT THE FRT AXLE IN AND OUT SINCE YOUR TRANNY HAS THE SHIFT ON THE FLY SETUP ON THE TRANS FER CASE ,YOU COULD DISASEMBLE BOTH T/CASES AND USE THE 96 PARTS ON THE 93 MAKING THE 93 A SHOTF SYSTEM OR USE THE 93 AS IS AND USE MANUAL HUBS AND THEN LOCK THE AXLE ACTUATOR IN ALL THE TIME ,WHICH IS MUCH EASIER THAN SWITCHING AROUND THE T/CASES
Gotchya, will all of the other parts needed for the swap be able to be taken off of the '93? What all parts will be needed...?

I will actually be using the axle off of my other '93 and have manual hubs already. Should I just stick with my '96's transfer case or snag the one off of the '93?

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Mediamonkey11 said:
JLEMOND said:
Mediamonkey11 said:

Thanks guys!
Gotchya, will all of the other parts needed for the swap be able to be taken off of the '93? What all parts will be needed...?

I will actually be using the axle off of my other '93 and have manual hubs already. Should I just stick with my '96's transfer case or snag the one off of the '93?
IF YOU HAVE THE 93 FRT AXLE YOU COULD USE IT , BUT FOR THE AMOUNT OF WORK, JUST REMOVE THE FRT COVER ON THE FRT AXLE ACTUATOR ON THE 96 LOCK THE SLEEVE IN PLACE FOR 4WD USE AND USE IT THAT WAY. NOT HARD TO DO AND TAKE ABOUT 45 MIN ,TO DO WITH OUT ALL THE WORK INVOLVED SWAPPING THE ENTIRE FRT END , THE 93 FRT AXLE WILL BOLT RIGHT IN

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yah, the '93 axle has the locker and diff drop in it which is why I wanna swap it into the '96. Should I just plug the vacuum hose going to the actuator?

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Mediamonkey11 said:
Yah, the '93 axle has the locker and diff drop in it which is why I wanna swap it into the '96. Should I just plug the vacuum hose going to the actuator?
YES JUST PLUG IT UP

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JLEMOND said:
Mediamonkey11 said:
YES JUST PLUG IT UP
Wurd. Thanks, Jerry!

·
Registered
555 Posts
JLEMOND said:
Mediamonkey11 said:
JLEMOND said:
Mediamonkey11 said:

Thanks guys!

IF YOU HAVE THE 93 FRT AXLE YOU COULD USE IT , BUT FOR THE AMOUNT OF WORK, JUST REMOVE THE FRT COVER ON THE FRT AXLE ACTUATOR ON THE 96 LOCK THE SLEEVE IN PLACE FOR 4WD USE AND USE IT THAT WAY. NOT HARD TO DO AND TAKE ABOUT 45 MIN ,TO DO WITH OUT ALL THE WORK INVOLVED SWAPPING THE ENTIRE FRT END , THE 93 FRT AXLE WILL BOLT RIGHT IN
Whats the best way to lock the actuator?

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Press the 4wd button and keep it on all the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts