Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I recently put new valve stem seals in my 96 rodeo 4ze1 (2.6L petrol). now the engine blows so much smoke it fills the shed and leaves me gasping for air within minutes. I have had it looked at by 2 workshops. After a quick going over both have said they think i need a new motor. They maybe right but the engine was running fine before the seal change and ran fine (apart from all the smoke) after. All 4 cylinders are holding good compression and all the valve stem seals appear to be sitting correctly. Have I missed something basic? I'm willing to go with a new motor but my gut feeling says i dont need one????? Cheers

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Are you sure the seals are the correct ones? I'd also wonder about other things touched as part of the seal replacement like maybe the PCV valve - basically anything that connects the internal motor where the oil is with the intake tract. Sorry I haven't ever looked at a 2.6 but I'd try even pulling and plugging the PCV hose to see if maybe the smoke goes away after a few mintues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't tried anything yet. Due to lack of time I took it straight to workshop. But your suggestion has inspired me to get the car home and try a few things

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They came with metal ring/retainers (good brand) and I had to push them on and could feel them snap into place correctly

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
psguardian said:
I would pull the cover and get in there with a light & see what's off. Maybe one came off.

~psguardian
Agreed.

When something has gone wrong, and work has recently been done... Always revisit whatever was done last. As the first step.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
totally agree i haven't had a look myself. both workshops took the rocker cover off and had a look at which point, i reckon, they just put it in the too hard basket and diagnosed new engine.
I really can't see how it can be anything other than something I've done wrong. I'll get it back 2moro and have a look at them myself, see what i can find. Cheers everyone

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
redrocket said:
totally agree i haven't had a look myself. both workshops took the rocker cover off and had a look at which point, i reckon, they just put it in the too hard basket and diagnosed new engine.
I really can't see how it can be anything other than something I've done wrong. I'll get it back 2moro and have a look at them myself, see what i can find. Cheers everyone
I have to say, I am glad you aren't just tossing in the towel, and accepting the 'new engine' diagnosis.

Were the seals kind of hard to slide onto the valve stems, or were they loose ?

I don't know about the 4ze1 engine, but the last chebby that I replaced valve stem seals on, the seal package came with not only the umbrella looking seals, but also an O ring with squared off shoulders.

You put the o ring on first, then the umbrella looking thing.

Were I you, I'd be pulling those new seals and seeing if maybe one or more got scored when you were installing them.

Maybe order up another seal kit from JLEMOND, here at the planet, and try again ?

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Agreed, good compression before & after stem seals does NOT = new engine. Tell them to wipe the solar signs off their glasses & try again.

~psguardian

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanx jeff, the seals were snug, tight but not 'force them on' tight. There were no seperate o rings in the kit but thats the sort of thing i was suspecting. I'm in Oz so I wont buy the off the website but will definately go and check out another packet, see if it has o rings

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
If you think the seals are good, look at the other plumbing - like maybe a bad PCV valve, missing baffle for the PCV and so on. Is possible the oil is coming in from somewhere other than the valve seals themselves - but still something you took apart to get to the seals.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
So you did the valve stem seals yourself correct. Did you use air pressure to hold the valves closed?? You might try running it for a bit maybe oil ran down the valve stem's durring switch aruu or the air pressure if you used it lodged a bit of carbon in the rings. Maybe put seafoam down her for a slight wash. I had a 2.6 and had the head off for a valve job but took it in for that part. I've worked on a various of engines diesles and gas. I know a ford power stroke will smoke horribley after changing injectors they dump all kinds of oil and fuel down the cyclinder. Did you check and make sure you didn't plug the oil drain gallies in the head maybe it's fillin up to much??? Not likely but a thought..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts