Isuzu SUV Forum banner

4x4 and All Wheel Drive?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  mepr 
#1 ·
:?: Hey guys, I have a question. See, I have an '99 Amigo 4 wheel drive. I was arguing with this guy today, and realized how ignorant I was. What is the difference between 4 wheel drive and all-wheel drive? And, which is better? :?:

#2 ·
Generally, an "all wheel drive" system can be left on all the time & automatically sends power to what ever axle or wheel is getting the most traction. Our rodeo's use a part-time four wheel drive system (4x4) where it's a 50/50 split of power between the front & rear axle in 4x4 mode. This system is designed to be used on slippery surfaces only. IMHO- 4x4 is a better setup for trucks (like ours). It is more simple & versitile. All wheel drive is better for cars & vehicles not used for heavy duty service.
G/luck
Joel

#3 ·
I'll add to it that TOD (Available on 98+ Troopers, VXs and Axioms) is an all-wheel-drive system. It can be left on all of the time. A very simplified explanation of it is that it is a 4-wheel drive system that disconnects the front axle when it isn't needed. It does more than that (things like sensing wheel slip and transferring power as it is needed to the front axle) but that will give you the general idea. It replaces normal 4-hi in those vehicles. They still have the option of 4-low, and in the Trooper and Axiom 2wd is also available. The VX only has TOD (4-hi) and 4-low.

-Tad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.