Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after reading a few posts on the forum I decided to tackle my 4wd problem on my 98 passport so here are the symtoms:

Engage sotf dashboard button and the green 4wd light begins to flash but will not remain lit. But am able to shift into 4L and back to 4H but does not feel like it has shifted to 4wd.

So under the hood: when swicthing between 2wd and 4wd on the dashboard swicth I can hear a clunking sound from somewhere under the car.

I have vacuum on the 2wd side of the actuator, vacuum in canister and vacuum on the VSV's the problems seems to be that the VSV's won't switch over to 4wd. The VSV's are working as when I remove the plug they switch polarity.

I am assuming that the blue vsv is for 2wd and the grey is for 4wd.

I did however to get the truck in 4wd by switching the pipes over at the vsv's but the indicator light did not stop flashing.

So I'm thinking that I may have a couple of problems with this system.

So any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
There is a vacuum actuator on the drivers side of the front axle. These tend to get sticky if they don't get used enough. The sensor is also on there to confirm engagement. If the light blinks about twice per second, this is a problem with the front axle actuator. If it blinks faster than that, this indicates a problem with the transfer case shifting. The problem is likely to be the front axle actuator.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So Catfuzz you seem to be answering all my questions which is good as I'm working through a whole dashboard full of warning lights next up ABS and fuel sending unit anyway one problem at a time.

The problem seems to be with the vsv's. I have vacuum on the 2wd VSV but when I switch to 4wd the vsv's don't change status.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts