Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the deal:
If I start up my Trooper and immediately press the 4WD button it shifts into 4WD just fine within 5-10 seconds (i think thats normal right?)
The 4WD then works perfectly and it shifts into 4LO perfectly fine
However, if the engine is warmed up and I press the 4WD button the light just blinks and it does not shift into 4WD. and beleive me i've tried every combination of steadily going at once speed, pressing in nuetral then going into drive, going in reverse, restarting engine, etc.
Anyone have a clue as to what could be causing this?

All I could think to do so far is drain/replace the transfer case oil and air up the tires.
Any ideas would be deeply appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Could it possibly be that my mechanic used gear oil when he should of used engine oil or vice-versa in an axle/differential? Like maybe the viscosity is only high enough when its cold?
Would really appreciate any input on this..

·
Registered
11,917 Posts
There are two actuators that have to operate to get into 4WD, the transfer case actuator and the axle actuator. Do you know for sure that that axle actuator is working?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The vacuum valve on the front axle is the most likely culprit. They accumulate gunk that eventually makes them hard to operate or totally inoperable. A good cleaning with a sensor-safe product like Seafoam spray can clean one enough to get it back into service. I also suspect that heat from the exhaust system makes them tighten up and not work properly. Try making a heat shield for it. You might be pleasantly surprised. I know I was.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have the same issue. Can you hear the relays in the 4WD ECU click before the 4WD engages? On mine if I don't hear a click then the 4WD does not engage. I have tried every combination of ways to get it to engage but cannot figure what is keeping it from working. Gary

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi, had this same issue om my 03 jackaroo. turned out to be the connectors on the transfer case switch. can you hear the front hubs locking and unlocking?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for your reply. My Trooper is a 1998. Everything works as long as the relays click in the ECU. I have taken everything apart from the front end to the transfer case at least once. It all seems to be in order. Gary

·
Registered
29 Posts
No worries Gary. It drove me up the wall for several months too. Especially after draining the front actuator and flushing it about 8 times to get the silver surfer colour oil out of it and it turned out to be the 4wd switch on the transfer case one of the wires went hard and brittle and was only hanging by 2 copper strands, hense the intermediate flashing.Our 03's from what i can figure out are your 98-2000 models. Good luck with it mate.

Cheers. Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts